587,997 active members*
1,767 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Looking for a NETBOOK to run Mastercam and AutoCad

Looking for a NETBOOK to run Mastercam and AutoCad

I am wondering if and what types of netbooks are being used to run Mastercam or AutoCad. The primary use would be drawing and programming when I am not near my main computer. I understand they usually only have 2gb max on board ram but that can be expanded by adding a flash memory card and dedicating it to ram use.

So what's out there that works?
    Necessity is the mother of all invention (unknown)
    My club home page www.lhmac.org

NOT a good fit... You should go for a lower end dual or quad core processor notebook. Netbooks just don't have the power to run higher end software efficiently.

Netbook will do just fine, more RAM the better, but notebook is prefer.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

i really don't want a notebook, I have the ability to delegate about 4 extra gb of ram by using a card. I mostly do 2d drawing, nothing too fancy. any suggestions on brands/models?

Quote Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
    i really don't want a notebook, I have the ability to delegate about 4 extra gb of ram by using a card. I mostly do 2d drawing, nothing too fancy. any suggestions on brands/models?
    One that you can return for a full refund if it runs too slow...

There is a new dual core Atom chip coming out, don't know any specific computer models, but this one should run faster for higher load programs: http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/18937

If you're only doing 2D drawings, an older version of AutoCAD, like 2002, will run much faster than the newer versions.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you're only doing 2D drawings, an older version of AutoCAD, like 2002, will run much faster than the newer versions.
    I still need to run mastercam so that i car shoot toolpaths and make g-code. running mastercam is more of a priority than autocad.

I did see the new processors coming out and they are already for sale in some models.

The best netbook i found so far is an alienware mx11 i think. except it's a whopping $1100.

Do you plan on wearing a magnifying glass headband while using the netbook? How large is the screen on those things?

They are either 10" or 11" they really aren't that hard to see. that being said I'm only 27so my eyes may be better than others.

That is small! Another thing, I have a very hard time drawing with the touch pad and would be lost with out a rodent.

They are either 10" or 11" they really aren't that hard to see. that being said I'm only 27so my eyes may be better than others.
    My wife has a 10" Netbook, and I don't even like running Firefox on it. Maybe because I'm 46, but it's way too small for me.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    My wife has a 10" Netbook, and I don't even like running Firefox on it. Maybe because I'm 46, but it's way too small for me.
    Its hard enough to run it on a 17" monitor, before getting the 22" monitor I ran split with tools on the right and workspace on the left monitor and that was good. With the 22" its all back on one monitor to cut down on rodent travel/ whiplash. The big rectangle monitors have been a wonderful imporvement, sure beats the old CRT's!!!!

Just curious - why do you want to use a netbook? Is there some special reason? I mean, assuming you're not pirating the s/w, it's cost is so high I can't imagine why anyone would skimp on hardware, so I'm guessing you have some specific reason for wanting a netbook?

As for USB "RAM", I think you should read up on what it actually does. It's not a replacement for the memory you have in your computer. All it's doing is cacheing program data so your s/w will start faster. It does basically nothing for the performance of running programs. See here for some more info. So a more reasonable option, if that can phrase can even be used here, would be one of the new Asus eee PC's with the 4GB max memory. eg http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834220659

If you're just looking to save some $$$ look at used notebooks. If for some reason (which I can't dream up) you want a small screen and a computer with a long battery life look into a cheap netbook or similar as a thin client and a more powerful server to drive it.

Also realize that cheap netbooks have slow everything - memory, video, HDD,etc.

Smile Toshiba L500 is low cost

I just bought a new L500 Toshiba for under au$700.
    Dual core 2.2G intel, webcam,CD burner,external eSATA access
    4G ram, 500G HD, HDMI, network, USB, 15.6" screen, external Hires monitor for 2 screens, internal modem, WIFI.
    It makes it's own recovery CDs from a hidden partition.
    I use a usb mouse, and if you don't like a keyboard, plug in a USB one.
    With windows 7 home premium you can run virtual PC so you can even use old win98 programs.

That IMHO is good value. Perfect for autocad,mastercam amongst other things.

Bundled office stuff is almost useless. I use open office, firefox and thunderbird, so who cares.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

rcpilot82,

Since you are make up your mind and wanting a netbook ...blah blah... don't let anyone tell you diffirence. I sure you have reason why you choose it, everything got its trade off.

I like mini HP and Sony swirl
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Cool Half the price.

Half the price, half the performance.
    If you want something for CAD you need something a little better than a word processor/browser.
    You get what you pay for. I'm outa here. Good luck.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks for the link on the ram, very informative. I want a netbook because of the size and portability. this is not going to be my main cad/cam computer so i relize it's not going to be lightning fast. I have used a few netbooks and really like them. for my situation they seem to be the best option. I'll look onto the sonys next and see what they offer. Thanks for all the input so far, keep it coming.

Thanks for the link on the ram, very informative. I want a netbook because of the size and portability. this is not going to be my main cad/cam computer so i relize it's not going to be lightning fast. I have used a few netbooks and really like them. for my situation they seem to be the best option. I'll look onto the sonys next and see what they offer. Thanks for all the input so far, keep it coming.
    Ok, so I think I understand you now. If I'm understanding correctly you want something to open and maybe do minor edits to drawings/models. But the main designs would likely be on your other machine. That's feasible. Any majorly complex model/drawing will bog the machine down though, and major editing will likely be painful.

That said, I'd watch newegg's daily deals. They have netbooks on sale on both .ca and .com about once a week. If you feel adventurous you could check out tigerdirect's sales too, though their service is less than exemplary. And there's pricewatch.com and froogle.com for current price comparisons of other sites.

Thanks, are there any brands I should stay away from?