587,175 active members*
2,943 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Need to pull out y1 ballscrew on citizen L-20

Need to pull out y1 ballscrew on citizen L-20

I have a citizen L-20 5MZ and im having a hell of a time getting to my y1 axis ballscrew! Anyone know how to go about taking the covers off so I can pull out the whole ballscrew?

STOP!!

This is by no means a snide remark and I mean you no disrespect, but...
    if you are having trouble figuring out ho to take the covers off, I would no recommend that you not proceed with the ballscrew removal.
    Call your local Citizen Dealer as they should be involved with this type of repair.
    Good luck.
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.

I thank u for your lack of confidence and your remarks get me no closer to the ballscrew.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehering View Post
    I thank u for your lack of confidence and your remarks get me no closer to the ballscrew.
    Again, I did not mean to offend, I apologize if I did.
    Where are you located?
    Did you try your Citizen dealer?
    I thought that would get you closer as they could walk you through just about anything.

There is nothing trick or secret about the covers coming off to get to your screw.
    Go to town with you metric allen wrech set till you get to what you need.
    All the screws are in plain sight, start by taking the top cover, side cover over the Y1 motor and two-piece back cover off.
    After that, see what still in your way and remove those items.
    It's been a while since I've done and do not remeber 100% what needs to be removed, plus I'm not near a machine at this time.
    The job is doable.
    Take your time and use common sense.
    If you're not sure, then stop and ask more specific questions here, people(myseld included) will try to help you.
    Good luck and let us know how you make out and if we can help.
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.

its not nescessarily the slides and covers giving me fits. The tool post is the major hassel which i have removed and am working on getting the saddle out of my way. Before that i have to remove the ball screw (i believe) need to look more into it. And of course the books just show u enought to get yourself in trouble.

Why are you removing saddles / tool posts as you should get access to the motor and coupling to the ball screw and motor / undo coupling / remove motor / remove bearing motor housing if nessecary then access ball screw mounting cap screws remove ballscrew and mount new ball screw attach coupling to motor and reset zero home position that is a general proceedure for any ballscrew

The reason is that my machine was alarming out. The tool post was in such a position that wouldnt allow me to get to a few bolts holding the slide cover in place. But it is all done and up and running once again!