587,980 active members*
3,918 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

rabbit laser 40A

Hi everybody
    my first post = my big problem

i've received yesterday my new "rabbit 40A" (in reality it's this one: http://www.signstech.com/Product_Detail.asp?id=83)

it comes with a parallel port cable (who does use these nowadays??)

I anticipated the problem and bourght a USB adapter : http://www.pearl.fr/cables/cables-in...cs_PE8488.html)

But it does not work!!

I've a Vista Laptop

when I plug the adpater, it says: drivers instaled, ready to use

so why can't I drive the machine?

I've read some posts relating such problems, but I've no real answer

forgive my english (I'm french

many thanks for any help

regards
    :rainfro:

Lightbulb driver not working?

ok you will need to see if your computer is running on a 32bit or a 64bit , The 64bit machines seem to have a problem installing western drivers i have had the same thing happen.

It is best to use windows xp for this sort of machine seems to run better/drivers work better on xp.

hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by royal120 View Post
    ok you will need to see if your computer is running on a 32bit or a 64bit , The 64bit machines seem to have a problem installing western drivers i have had the same thing happen.

It is best to use windows xp for this sort of machine seems to run better/drivers work better on xp.

hope it helps
    Thanks Royal120
    I'll check this evening (am in France

I'll also test with an XP laptop

if some one has another suggestion, dont hesitate please

I don't actually use this system as I use GCode to drive my laser but basically, as I see it, you have a conflict of drivers.
    The Rabbit uses it's own print driver to transfer (for example) Corel files whereas the USB adapter is using its own print driver which is not the same thing. I think you would be better off with a parallel port card and then use the parallel cable.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    I don't actually use this system as I use GCode to drive my laser but basically, as I see it, you have a conflict of drivers.
    The Rabbit uses it's own print driver to transfer (for example) Corel files whereas the USB adapter is using its own print driver which is not the same thing. I think you would be better off with a parallel port card and then use the parallel cable.

Tweakie.
    I was hoping not to here such an answer
    since it's now hard to find a laptop with a parallel port
    add to this that I'mnot sure the laptops parallel ports are the same as the one on the engraving machine (does it matter? perhaps with an adpatater...)
    well, Andy (http://www.andyslater.com/laser-cutting/) has just told me almost the same thing...
    I'll test with an XP + usb and keep you guys informed
    thanks!!

The machine does need to use a true parallel port connection, although I have heard of success with a USB converter it is much more difficult to setup.

Zax.

IMHO USB connector add one more possible problem inside system. Best way for chinese lasers - old desktop with XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Litografa View Post
    IMHO USB connector add one more possible problem inside system. Best way for chinese lasers - old desktop with XP.
    Yeah
    I confirm
    I've tried the usb conenctor on an XP laptop, with no result
    however , in the engrave panel, unlike vista, it seems that in COM3, the laptop or the newlydraw soft thinks that there is a connection, although the laser does not seem to react.

well , I've to find an old laptop with a parallel port on it

thanks guys

Nemo,

Consensus of opinion is that an old PC running XP would work better than a laptop.

(Just for reference; you need to use the LPT parallel connection not COM3 serial).

Tweakie.

Nemo,

Consensus of opinion is that an old PC running XP would work better than a laptop.

(Just for reference; you need to use the LPT parallel connection not COM3 serial).

Tweakie.
    Yep Tweakie
    this is why I'm buying an old laptop running XP and with a parallel connection (by the week end)
    I'll keep you Informed

Nemo,

Just one more thing to consider; Laptops mostly use 3.3 Volt peak signals on their parallel port whereas PC's use the full 5 Volts. Will the Rabbit work OK at 3.3 Volt ? - this I don't know.

Sorry if I am telling you something you are already aware of.

Tweakie.

Nemo,

Just one more thing to consider; Laptops mostly use 3.3 Volt peak signals on their parallel port whereas PC's use the full 5 Volts. Will the Rabbit work OK at 3.3 Volt ? - this I don't know.

Sorry if I am telling you something you are already aware of.

Tweakie.
    well, I didnt know it .....
    but I've asked Andy Slater (http://www.andyslater.com/laser-cutting/set-up.html) who uses a windows laptop with a parallel, and it seems working good....
    I'll give it a try, the guy who is selling me the laptop asked me for about 30$, it's worth testin I say

I have used mine with a laptop and it worked fine, but I don't know if the laptop I used had 3.3v parallel port or not. It was an old heavyweight that barely ran XP.

Zax.

If you use NewlyDraw then there is no chance the parallel port USB converter will work. We tested about 10 brands.

If you use Moshisoft, then it might work but Moshisoft doesn't support vector cuts.

Both of the above Chinese programs are very bad. Manufacturer cost is around $50 including the control card. You get what you pay for.

We realized these problems when we started selling lasers and developed USB RetinaEngrave which replaces Newlydraw/Moshisoft boards with the exact same connectors and gives you direct print capabilities and much better control.

Check it out here:
    http://www.fullspectrumengineering.c...serv2-40w.html
    http://www.fullspectrumengineering.c...naEngrave.html

You will need to buy both the mach3 card (replaces motor drivers) and the usb retinaengrave card (400mhz processor to run the motor drivers) for it to work.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by zax15uk View Post
    I have used mine with a laptop and it worked fine, but I don't know if the laptop I used had 3.3v parallel port or not. It was an old heavyweight that barely ran XP.

Zax.
    Well guys!!! I'm very desapointed!!

I've bought an old Toshiba Laptop running windows2000, it has a parallel port

result: it do not drive the engraver!

I decided to test with my big PC, running Windows XP,

result: the same

does any one have an idea?

perhaps, it's only a configuration problem... I set in newlydraw : Rabbit 40A and LPT1, is there something else to do (on windows for ex)

do I've to see the machine in windows (as a printer ou something else)

help me please......

Try another parallel cable as often the one supplied is very poor quality.

Zax.

Quote Originally Posted by zax15uk View Post
    Try another parallel cable as often the one supplied is very poor quality.

Zax.
    Hell!! do you realy think it comes from the cable?

isn't also a windows configuration?
    I do not see the engraver on my perepherics....

Newlydraw doesn't use Windows for the communication, it isn't bit bashing like Mach3 or others but it does do some direct handshaking.

I highly suggest testing another cable before proceeding.

Zax.

Quite a number of cables have been made for PC to PC communication and they look identical but have the wiring to different pins crossed over (they don't go pin 1 to pin 1 etc.). You could be unlucky and have one of those.

Tweakie.

Quite a number of cables have been made for PC to PC communication and they look identical but have the wiring to different pins crossed over (they don't go pin 1 to pin 1 etc.). You could be unlucky and have one of those.

Tweakie.
    Guys!!!! what can I say? your ara GREAT!!!!!
    I've just bought an old cable in an old store (6€)

and It worked!!!!!!!!!

I'm spending my week end testing my machine thanks to you!

thanks thanks thanks (I'm also going to have some nightmareless sleep

Page 1 of 2 12