587,466 active members*
3,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question JB Weld question

I've got a two part shaft on a weed eater. The top half shaft female section that mates to the lower half shaft is wallowed out to a round hole. The hole should be square to mate up with the top of the lower half shaft. Can I use JB weld to makeup the difference? Can I coat the top of the lower shaft with mixed JB Weld, slide it into the rounded upper half shaft socket, and pull it out carefully leaving a square hole once it has cured up? If so will I need a slip agent to keep it from adhering to the lower half shaft? Or am I faced with replacing the upper half shaft, or permenantly welding the two shafts together?

Are you following all of this???

JB weld it, and sell it to some one you don't know
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Quote Originally Posted by DSL PWR
    JB weld it, and sell it to some one you don't know
    If this is a joke it is a poor one.

If it is a serious suggestion you need to review your grasp of good business ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    If this is a joke it is a poor one.

If it is a serious suggestion you need to review your grasp of good business ethics.
    ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING MY A$$ OFF....

Yes you can JB weld it.. Take the square peg (the part that has to slip out)and coat it with some vasiline or other type of oil... Let the JB Weld cure while the peg is in the hole or you might muck it up when you pull it out. The petroleum jelly or other oil should stop the JB weld from sticking.

Scruff up the square hole as best you can with some gritty sand paper.. clean everything with acetone .. JB Weld away!!..

It will break again but should extend the life for a while anyhow.. Depending on how much stress is on the square hole, it will either break quick, or may even last longer than the next malfunction..

Good luck!!!
    Murphy

Caveat emptor
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

It was only a joke. I doubt JB would even stick very well to the pot metal in the yoke.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

if you go with the jb weld dont try to weld in the round hole take out your dremel and cut in some pockets so it can't twist out. try to cut the pockets in a V. If you do it this way it's not going to matter if it sticks or doesnt it will be locked in.

also if you heat up the jbweld a little with a hair dryer it will flow in better. if you can i would use the 24 hour jb it has a higher psi rating. For a slip agent try petroleum jelly.

good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jb.JPG