587,624 active members*
3,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Frankenmill pats suggestions?

Frankenmill pats suggestions?

Hi all,

tl;dr: Is there a reasonably cheap head/column I could buy to use on my frankenmill?

I've been working on building a new mill for a long time now. Its a bit of a behomoth, but that happens when you use a 36"x24" surface plate as the base.

I designed it so I could build on axis at a time and use the machine to build itself. I'm getting close to starting to assemble the beast but I need a Z-axis still.

The original plan was to part out my Taig and temporarily use its head and column, but now I'm thinking I should leave it intact, sell it and get a mini mill head/column to use on a semi permanent bases for a few years before building something better...

Is the mini mill head/column worth it (~$500 including belt drive) or might there be better options?

Oh if someone has spares they may want to be rid of, feel free to pm me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

If you can afford a few more $$$ Tormach sells their spindle head subassemblies. Add a VFD and you are off and running with something well proven. You can also buy just the spindle cartridge.

CNC Mill Upgrades and Maintenance Products | Tormach | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items see the last few items.

bob