587,404 active members*
3,135 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam X3 coordinates

Mastercam X3 coordinates

Hi

I'm quite newbie with Mastercam X3. But I have successfully created some 2/3D routes if the coordinates have been right from beginning.

Basically, I will use Autodesk Inventor (or other CAD-programs) to create models and then import them to Mastercam to create G-programs. All I wish that the models coordinate-axles will be right during import. Otherwise I'm in big trouble, because I have to adjust axles correctly by cnc-mill by mirroring/rotating and/or changing machining-planes (G17-G19).

So, my problem is, that I don't know how to rotate coordinates in Mastercam X3 to fit with Inventor model coordinates. Or should I rotate the model instead?
    For example, if the model is upside-down, X-Y correct, but Z is to wrong direction.

If I use XFORM -> Rotate, the model will only rotate around X-axle. It would be easy, if the axle could be changed, but I can't change it..

It seems, that the Mastercam has three different "coordinates", but how Gview, WCS and T/Cplane works?
    Please, can someone help me? Or was my question too messy.

There is a simple method

after importing your model/s
    create a line that would represnt the X axis moving away from your intended origin
    - now create a shorter line to represent the Y axis , from the origin

Select WCS ( lower toolbar), WCS by geometry ( select the X axis line, select the Y axis line, toggle thru the offered choices to set the Z direction, now set the view data etc and you're done

You will have to set "Planes = WCS"

Another method is to use the "Xform translate 3D", which moves the selected items in 3D space ( translate and rotate combined )