587,745 active members*
2,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

45FG Question

Hey guys, I recently picked up a YAZ7045FG mill locally for a good deal. The machine is great so far. It's nice to not be limited to making everything out of aluminum. The poor little X2's are very envious of the new kid and will start to get worried as I start amassing ball screws and electronics...

This unit has a FWD, REV, and E-Stop Button, as I'm sure most do. Is it accepted practice to reverse the spindle by pushing the opposite direction button while the spindle is turning? This can't be good for either the motor or the gearbox, although it dosen't make a loud mechanical bang, all I can hear is the contactors clicking. The only use for this that I see is tapping.

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul,

I know some of the 45's are advertised as having a tapping feature .. Although I've never been quite sure what that consisted of & how it worked ..

If you're using it for tapping & it's not complaining .. must mean it's doable, but I can't imagine the gears in the head liking that kind of treatment very much!

A google search for that model number is not turning up anything for me, but I would think you'd want to find out who the mfg. is and try to get your hands on a manual if possible. Perhaps someone else on the zone will recognize the numbers & be able to point you in the right direction.

ENJOY YOUR 45 .. they're great machines for the home user ..

Quote Originally Posted by fatal-exception View Post
    Hey guys, I recently picked up a YAZ7045FG mill locally for a good deal. The machine is great so far. It's nice to not be limited to making everything out of aluminum. The poor little X2's are very envious of the new kid and will start to get worried as I start amassing ball screws and electronics...

This unit has a FWD, REV, and E-Stop Button, as I'm sure most do. Is it accepted practice to reverse the spindle by pushing the opposite direction button while the spindle is turning? This can't be good for either the motor or the gearbox, although it dosen't make a loud mechanical bang, all I can hear is the contactors clicking. The only use for this that I see is tapping.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Are you sure its not a "ZAY7045" instead of "YAZ7045" ??

I use mine for tapping all the time. I use the lowest speed and try to wait until the spindle stops before reversing, though.

you'd be amazed

You'd be amazed at what comes out of the Chinese factories. I bought a MD001 from MTW and it came stock with a very odd reversing setup. Set a switch to fwd and tapping (vrs milling) if I recall and it used the E-stop to reverse directions! Thats right - pushing in the E-stop reversed the motor, didn't kill power. I never used it like that, I had it converted to VFD by the time it made it to my basement so I don't have too many details I can share. I can look for the manual if anyones interested...(I hope not!)

Anyway I don't think that will harm the gear train - the inertia of the gears is much less than the forces from various cutters - and remember the motor can only put out so much torque (plus many are using much larger motors without issue)

Mike

I think you....

I think you will enjoy your new RF45, I sure do.. As far as the power switch, Mine came that way and I originally used it a few times to sorta rigid tap with it that way but as was said before, I would power down, turn it off, wait for the spindle to stop, then hit it in reverse....

Make sure you post a build thread or at least some pictures of your new machine so we can all enjoy it.. peace

Pete

Yes, sorry it's a ZAY, not YAZ. The manual dosen't say anything about the FWD/REV buttons, and there's no warning label to stop the spindle before changing directions like there usually is, that's why I'm wondering.

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul