587,224 active members*
3,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > NM-135 xaxis question

NM-135 xaxis question

Hi Everyone,
    I have an nm-135. It is about 2 years old, and a couple months ago I noticed some slight roughness when the x axis was moved from side to side. I noticed a rythmic rough sound whose frequency increased as the rapid speed increased. If I placed my fingers on the bed while it was moving I could also feel a slight roughness. I was not worried as it was very slight and did not appear to affect precision or finish. However, today, I started hearing clicking noises on the same axis. I checked the coupler to the motor and that seems tight. So, I am thinking that the axis bearings might be going. Does this sound correct?

Has anyone experienced this before? It is a managable fix? Any suggestions on how to go about getting replacement parts? Previous posts on this forum suggest that going through Novakon may not be the most efficient.

Thanks,
    Scott

could be many things. the support bearing and the ball nut might be wearing. might be debris in one of them. might just be debris in the dovetails or under the table or saddle. might just be a loose gib that resonates in a certain spot.

have you taken the way covers off to look inside? i think the x ball screw assembly can slide out fairly easily and you can check it for rough spots.