587,193 active members*
2,410 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Need a little help with our tool probe.

Need a little help with our tool probe.

I've got a jack in the box style tool probe on our Okuma MB4000H horizontal mill. I know how to use it to measure tools and check for broken tools. I'm using a generic subprogram to measure tools that are measured at the spindle centerline, like drills. The machine has commands that offset in x and y and for spindle angle, so I can get the insert lined up correctly for each tool. But I need to write a separate sub program for each tool that is not measured at the centerline. Or I can skip the subs and just add the code for the probe to the part program for each tool. How is this usually handled?

Thanks in advance

The toolsetter should use the Tool Radius offset to move the tool off the center line

You'll need to ensure the tool has one insert/flute inline with notches in the holder (for the spindle dog). Then put the tool into the magazine oriented so that the insert/flute is pointing down when loaded into the spindle.

I'm only trying to measure length at this point, not diameter. There are commands for offsetting the tool in x and y so I can get the correct part of the tool touching the tool probe, but it's not automatic. It's more like trial and error to get the tool in the right spot. There is also a command for spindle angle so I can get an insert in the correct orientation. It's not always possible to have a tool's insert lined up with the dogs on the spindle. Think face mill with shell mill arbor. There are only two ways to mount the face mill.