Hi everyone. New to the forum, but I've been reading the forums for a long time. Well, I bought my first micro mill - a Jet JHM-610. And I bought it broken - power light but no motor spin-ney (yep, that's a technical term.) I don't want to go into a lot of detail, but it has stock a XMT-1115 motor controller. I took the motor loose of the controller, hooked it to a 12v battery charger and it ran nice and smooth. Considering the simplicity of these machines, I checked all the connections and that leaves the controller being bad.

So, I started shopping for a replacement controller. Jet wants $160 for a replacement. LMS wants $75 (which is quite reasonable.) I found folks that power DC motors pretty regularly with KBIC-120's, so I bought one and it's on the way. It might or might not work, but if it doesn't I like the idea of using them to repower other shop tools with treadmill motors.

Anyhoo, I know my stock motor is 150 watts based on the spec. The controller, according to the KB documentation and what I've read, requires a plug-in resistor to match the motor horsepower. I don't know what horsepower that is, so I used WolframAlpha to calculate it for me at about .2hp - that feels right, but is that right? If so, 1/5hp is between resistor 9838 and 9839.

While I'm at it, I hope my motor is a permanent magnet motor. Like I said, I'm a noob. I just know enough to be dangerous, or spend money needlessly.

Any other pointers on the KBIC controller? I couldn't find too much hobbyist activity explaining the setup.

Thanks in advance.