587,518 active members*
3,593 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

220v Switches for CNC lathe build..

Seems dumb, but where do I get switches for my cnc lathe conversion? I'd like good quality stuff, and e-stop, a good sized (1.4-2") 3 position rotary switch for Forward, off and reverse, and a big panel mount light to show that the lathe power is live.... Seems should be easy to find, but have spent some time googling and not seeing what I need.

Thanks.

What kind of motor are you reversing?
    Switchgear & panel switches and indicator lights such as Telemecanique is plentifull on ebay, also Allen-Bradly.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    What kind of motor are you reversing?
    Switchgear & panel switches and indicator lights such as Telemecanique is plentifull on ebay, also Allen-Bradly.
    Al.
    its a grizzly 12x37. I think its 3hp... I have the factory switches, which used two switches and mechanical cams to select the switch, but I just finished the mechanical conversion of it to CNC and took all the non-essentials off. I need to replace those two momentary contact switches with one rotary switch. Off in the middle, reverse to the left and forward to the right. It has a light too, but it burned out immediately when new.

Hi,
    Grainger has lots of switches and e-stop buttons and lights.
    Most of the lathes I own use a drum switch.

Grainger Industrial Supply

e-stop

Search e-stop buttons - Grainger Industrial Supply

The Tormach machine website has some nice stuff in their parts section, mostly for milling but you might find something useful.

Or you could try McMaster.

Automation Direct has everything you need at discount prices. I have been happy with the switches and indicators I have bought in the past.

Matt

I use Allen Bradley 800 series switches for all my panels ... nothing better IMHO. eBay is your friend if you are patient. Cheers, Bill

I found the Telemecanique ZB2 series a bit less clunky, and they are also very numerous on ebay, also if you want a motor reversing contactor they come in DIN size/mount.
    Al.

Albert E.

for what it's worth, US code now is low voltage controls. That means 110 or lower for operator push buttons, lamps etc. Thats why its hard to find 220 indicating lamps and 220 volt coil contactors.

Personally I use 24vdc for all control circuits.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Personally I use 24vdc for all control circuits.
    Al.
    I'm 100% with you on that.

Thanks for the tips guys.... Lathe is a G2949 and looks like the controls are 24v. Here's the machine so far. I got the mechanicals done, but am a bit chicken on the electrical. I'm sure I make it harder than it has to be. I have a kill sw, and really just need a new forward/reverse switch arrangement.

Automation direct seems to have decent stuff/prices - I looked on ebay, but not exactly sure I'm getting the right stuff. Could you guide me on the forward reverse switch? I'm thinking this switch
    GCX1370-22 Products

But not sure how to wire that from what I have now - the pic is the current switch arrangement for Forward reverse (off is just not touching either switch)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1144.JPG   Screen Shot 2012-02-06 at 9.30.59 PM.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Could you guide me on the forward reverse switch? I'm thinking this switch
    GCX1370-22 Products

But not sure how to wire that from what I have now - the pic is the current switch arrangement for Forward reverse (off is just not touching either switch)
    That is exactly what you need, with 2 NC and 2 NO contacts. Each side will have 1 NO and 1 NC. You can connect one terminal from each block together, that will be your common, then you will have a C, NO, and NC for each switch position with center being off.

I can draw a picture if you need it, but your link is the exact thing you need assuming it fits the cutout and you have enough space behind the panel to fit the double stacked contacts.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    That is exactly what you need, with 2 NC and 2 NO contacts. Each side will have 1 NO and 1 NC. You can connect one terminal from each block together, that will be your common, then you will have a C, NO, and NC for each switch position with center being off.

I can draw a picture if you need it, but your link is the exact thing you need assuming it fits the cutout and you have enough space behind the panel to fit the double stacked contacts.

Matt
    Thanks Matt... I'l order up the switch. I'm making a custom panel anyway over the z-axis motor, so space won't be an issue. I'll post back when I figure it out, or get lost again!

Thanks for the help!

Hook up the contacts like this and it will be straight forward how to replace the old switches.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails switch.jpg  

Hook up the contacts like this and it will be straight forward how to replace the old switches.

Matt
    Thanks Matt! Switch on the way along with a optical pickup so I can get spindle speed for threading....

Thanks for the tips guys.... Lathe is a G2949 and looks like the controls are 24v. Here's the machine so far. I got the mechanicals done, but am a bit chicken on the electrical. I'm sure I make it harder than it has to be. I have a kill sw, and really just need a new forward/reverse switch arrangement.

Sorry to be dense... could you guide me to make sure I don't blow something up?

I got my switches in (good call on the vendor!).

Matt, Here's how my switches are wired now for forward and reverse. Can you confirm for me how that matches to your picture? I put numbers on them to make it easy, like 1-2, 2-3 kind of thing...

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2012-02-06 at 9.30.59 PM.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Sorry to be dense... could you guide me to make sure I don't blow something up?

I got my switches in (good call on the vendor!).

Matt, Here's how my switches are wired now for forward and reverse. Can you confirm for me how that matches to your picture? I put numbers on them to make it easy, like 1-2, 2-3 kind of thing...

Thanks!
    Lets say there is a left switch and a right switch, like my drawing. The black lines are wires. Just match up the labels on my drawing to yours. With your new switch, you have to make a 3 pole contact out of the separate 2 pole NO and NC. If you connect one terminal of each together, like my drawing shows, that becomes your COM terminal. Then its just a matter of matching up the contacts from your drawing to mine.

my left NO = your left NO
    my left COM = your left COM
    my left NC = your left NC

Same for the right.

Matt

Lets say there is a left switch and a right switch, like my drawing. The black lines are wires. Just match up the labels on my drawing to yours. With your new switch, you have to make a 3 pole contact out of the separate 2 pole NO and NC. If you connect one terminal of each together, like my drawing shows, that becomes your COM terminal. Then its just a matter of matching up the contacts from your drawing to mine.

my left NO = your left NO
    my left COM = your left COM
    my left NC = your left NC

Same for the right.

Matt
    Gotcha.. I'll try it tonight...

Thanks.

Thanks everybody!

Just wired it up. Worked first try except switch direction was backwards, so swapped the two N/O wires and its good to go. Thanks for the advice! Now, just need to make up a new control console and mount up the new switches....