587,997 active members*
2,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question about lasercut layout

When I installed lasercut and first opened it, the grid showed of 50x40. What units are these? Can the units be changed? Can I change the grid size to match that of my table area?

Hurricane21 Guest

Your Engraving area

Ian - You bought the Ivan machine which has a 20x12 engraving bed. It is 500x400mm or 50x40 on LaserCut. Hope this answers the question - basically - everything is metric. So you are already set up for your engraving bed. Happy engraving :-) Send me a picture of your first project!

Support @ Hurricane Lasers

Thanks! Everything seems to be working great. I am running it from my eee pc, which is a netbook with windows 7 starter. Seems to work just fine.

So, is the machine actually a 500mmx400mm and not an actual 20x12?

The reason I ask because those 2 dimensions are not the same.

Do you recommend any free CAD programs? I downloaded DraftSight but havent used it yet.

Here is one more question about the layout. When I import a bitmap, it does something strange. It seems to make it whatever size it wants. It appears to take up the entire computer screen, but when I test the size in the machine, it is very small. Looks like it is engraving glass pretty darn good. But, when you take a picture and downsize it that small in lasercut....details are lost.

How do you resize or tell how large an image in laser cut is?

Why should we have to convert? tell us what it is.

How is the Ivan working out for you? I've been looking into Hurricane for a few weeks now. Doing the mm to in conversion, there is about a 10 sq.in loss on the engraving area. Should be more like 19 11/16" x 15 3/4" That's a good point you make since we don't deal with mm much in USA and it says 20x16" so that's what you expect, but it is smaller than that. It seem they should advertise the mm since this is what it is, it should say 500x400mm (19 11/16" x 15 3/4") instead of the other way around making it look bigger on their website.

In the US, should we have to convert the mm to inches to verify? we see 20x16 and this is USA so we expect 20x16" I know John says he was tired of the other company doing the way they did, but could this be a little misleading on his website? Why not just post the specs as they are and not round up to the nearest inch. Those inches get expensive going up further categories and the customer thinks he's getting bigger. It's even worse on the 60x48" Katrina 1500mm is 59.06" x 1200mm which is 47.25" that's a big difference 90 sq.in loss in conversion!! It should read 1500x1200mm engraving area (59.06" x 47.25") to make things honest. I couldn't afford a Katrina, but if I was expecting 2880sq.in and I only got 2790sq.in I would be asking some questions. GM

In Lasercut the grid is layed out in cm
    Dean Novakowski
    www.legacylasers.com

Hurricane21 Guest

follow up

Geo Man,

We actually provide both measurements on our website for each machine. I apologize for this confusion. When we asked around most people want inches and very few are concerned with the actual dimensions down to the nth degree. For the very few that it has mattered we have sent detailed measurements as needed.

Since both measurements are found right on the laser product page I do not feel that we are misleading and that is definitely not our intention.

Lasers - Products

Please contact us if you need more details and thank you for the feedback.

John

It may not be intentional, but it was enough for Ian to be concerned about it
    after he made the purchase. Did you ask around to see if people wanted you
    to list it as a bigger engraving area and round up to the nearest whole inch?

60" advertised - actual 59.06" is not an "nth" degree, its almost an entire inch
    less on the length and 90 sq.in overall, not just a couple of thousandths. Like I
    said, in USA we can't convert the inches to mm in our head to verify that the
    mm you listed is correct and we shouldn't have to, the conversion should be
    correct and truthful. His point was that the measurements were not the same.
    If you want to list both measurements, then it should 60"x48" (1524mm x 1219mm)
    but the table is actually 1500 x 1200mm because it's not made in the USA,
    so you would have to convert the mm to inches so it should be
    59.06" x 47.24" (1500mm x 1200mm)

We are in a CNC forum so guys here know the difference between .06 and .94
    so if they are purchasing and find out later the "preferred inches" was incorrect,
    you lose credibility. I have been looking at your website for several weeks and never thought
    to convert the mm back to inches, the conversion should be correct already.
    GM

The displayed grid size can be changed in the config file syscfg in the /lasercut53 directory

look for this entry

[TableSetting]
    TableGridWidth=25
    TableGridHeight=25

To change the view size of the small squares just enter the new value (it's in MM's) the one above gives 25mm squares.

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by geo_man View Post
    How is the Ivan working out for you? I've been looking into Hurricane for a few weeks now. Doing the mm to in conversion, there is about a 10 sq.in loss on the engraving area. Should be more like 19 11/16" x 15 3/4" That's a good point you make since we don't deal with mm much in USA and it says 20x16" so that's what you expect, but it is smaller than that. It seem they should advertise the mm since this is what it is, it should say 500x400mm (19 11/16" x 15 3/4") instead of the other way around making it look bigger on their website.

In the US, should we have to convert the mm to inches to verify? we see 20x16 and this is USA so we expect 20x16" I know John says he was tired of the other company doing the way they did, but could this be a little misleading on his website? Why not just post the specs as they are and not round up to the nearest inch. Those inches get expensive going up further categories and the customer thinks he's getting bigger. It's even worse on the 60x48" Katrina 1500mm is 59.06" x 1200mm which is 47.25" that's a big difference 90 sq.in loss in conversion!! It should read 1500x1200mm engraving area (59.06" x 47.25") to make things honest. I couldn't afford a Katrina, but if I was expecting 2880sq.in and I only got 2790sq.in I would be asking some questions. GM
    If you want everything in feet/inches buy a US laser, its that simple. Anything made overeseas is going to be metric since the rest of the world uses that :P

I'm still drawing everything in Corel Draw, and then importing into LaserCut... it makes it far easier with the non-metric units. Luckily, it does the conversion on its own, automatically.