587,998 active members*
1,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Programming / Setup help for bender.

I'm building a wire bender (think miniature tube bender) that has an air cylinder used for cutoff. There is a micro switch at each end of the cylinder. I plan to drive the machine with Mach 3 and a G100. I would like the sequence of the cutoff cylinder to proceed as follows:
    1) Activate the cylinder.
    2) Wait for the end of travel switch to trigger.
    3) De-activate the cylinder.
    4) Wait for the beginning of travel switch to trigger.
    5) Proceed with the program.

Any suggestions on how to G-code this??

TIA,
    Walt

This is not so much a G code but falls into the category of a machine function, M-Code.
    The M code routine would contain the logic required to perform 1) to 5), the part program would wait for a finish signal 5), to proceed with the part program.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    This is not so much a G code but falls into the category of a machine function, M-Code.
    The M code routine would contain the logic required to perform 1) to 5), the part program would wait for a finish signal 5), to proceed with the part program.
    Al.
    OK, I got it. I had totally forgotten that you can code custom M codes. I was looking in the main manual and not finding any help. I had never even downloaded the customization manual because I had no intention of making a custom screen. Oops. Now all I have to do is brush up on my very, very rusty basic.

Thanks,
    Walt

What you need is a smart relay for a project like this.
    Think about idec or a teco.