587,584 active members*
3,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: momus metric

momus metric

Hi all
    I downloaded plans last week and I am going to build a larger version as I require a working area 900mm x 500mm it's took me a few days to convert all dimensions to metric and working out the upgrade off the gantry. But I'm already to start. ALL the aluminium parts have Arrived all in metric . If anyone is interested in UK who is interested in building this machine I could do you a deal on aluminium as I have a lot left over as it was cheaper buying full lengths instead off getting them cut

Hi gedereco

I'm in the UK too and have also just finished converting the dimensions to metric. My usual metal supplier has stock sizes mainly in imperial though so most aluminium pieces use imperial.

I'm interested to know though what accuracy youve gone for for the dimensions. Ive tried to keep everything to the nearest half millimetre. Have you done a direct conversion or reshuffled to be rounder numbers?

Anyway, good luck

Hi lawmate, yes I have gone half a mm as well and always gone to next size. upgraded gantry to 100mm x 50mm. Also got 50mm x 40mm angle so I don't have to cut bolt heads down on bottom bearings. The back on mine is solid and sides on my build with have openings so I can slide longer work pieces through.also I think I'm going to turn Z axis motor upside down and move it back so I can support ball screw at bottom and top and belt drive my Z axis also fitting dust extraction as all I will be cutting is wood ..

Wow, that sounds pretty solid. I'm increasing my design to 500mm X 500mm cut area. I thought about taking the back off to allow for larger pieces, but I don't think I'd use it that much and I'd prefer the sound insulation properties of having everything enclosed.
    I'd be interested to see your vacuum mount. I'd like to add one on mine. What router are you using by the way? I've got a Kress 1050.
    Also I want to mill PCBs which needs very precise movements, so I was thinking of getting the bright steel rails surface ground as I see them as the precision bottleneck for the x and the y rails.
    Where did you get your ballscrew by the way?

Hi ,the dust extractor system will be 40mm reduced to 32mm on a flexible hose . I will post some pictures when it is finished . I'm fitting cnc with a bosch trim router and I am going to build a spare set of clamps so I can fit a larger router if I need to . I got ball screw from Hong Kong and also got the rest of my electrical equipment from there as well. I think it's a good idea to get rails ground if you require that precision or you could fit v groove rail with matching bearings ..

Hi all, started build this week and had to change a few bits as i've gone for a larger cutting bed. I've put extra struts in side and beefed up back and top. I have also split the lid so the top lifts up and bottom section will drop down, I've changed the side electrics are on and the x motor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo0091.jpg   Photo0093.jpg   Photo0108.jpg   Photo0111.jpg  

Photo0118.jpg   Photo0117.jpg  

Very nice and full of interesting modifications!

With my build, I am nearing the end of all the metal work. Just ordered the X and Y plate aluminum, set screws, and the 4-start drive screw (Z axis). I have been mulling over vendors for motors and controls.

Build on!
    -=Doug
    "IT ≠ IQ " Starwalt 1999

Hi Doug,
    Cool that your on with the metal fabrication it took me a bit to source motors but I managed to get the 3 stepper motor 428 oz in and 36v power unit break out board cable and mach 3 software for £199 which I guess is about $250
    What cad/cam are you going to use as I think I'm going to try artcam express ..

I started the metal work first as that takes up far less space than the base/housing unit...and I need to clear off my table saw but was less motivated to do that. Having a mini-mill made most of the fabrication/machining much easier. You should see the pile of aluminum dust/swarf and steel swarf I collected.

Software? There are far too many choices it seems but I have been using TurboCNC on a home brew controller/PC tied to a small 3-axis Dremel based unit for quite a while. I am considering Linux EMC. Digital Machinist has a favorite author of mine, Ed Nisley, with a running column and he uses it.

I am leaning toward Gecko 540 and motors over 400 oz myself.

You got a great buy on that combo. Did it come with drive electronics too?

-=Doug
    "IT ≠ IQ " Starwalt 1999

The electronics came with motors, so it was a good deal. I'm going to order limit switches this week but I don't think I'll be able to start metal work until next week as I'm waiting for a aluminium saw blade for my Chop saw. Not really done much metal but I'm a carpenter so that's why I built cabinet first. I'm only really going to use it for sign making and wooden toys. I'm not great on computers so I was looking for an easy to use cad cam .I couldn't believe how expensive some off them are. I was also going to make a spare set off clamps so I could swap between my bosch colt and hitachi router but not sure if this will just cause me headaches ..

The first thing I fabricated were the limit switch mounts. Without a proper mill, I recommend going the plans route and buying the metal pre-dimensioned. Bob did a great thing for the hobby/community by specifying the parts that way.

You *will* become very tired of drilling and tapping by the end of the project. If you have a drill press, I recommend obtaining a spring loaded tap guide to maintain pressure on the tap handle top while threading. A drill press vise will also be of benefit.

My technique was:
    1) Align the drill bit with the center mark of the piece previously installed in a vise.
    2) Drill the hole as required.
    3) Remove the drill bit and install the tap guide.
    4) Tap the hole while the piece is centered in the vise using the tap guide.

Some online folks are advocating using a cheap auto center punch as a tap guide. This will work fine and provide a double use for the tool. This method does involve much tool changing unfortunately.

I broke the parts up into smaller tasks rather than attempt to cut and layout all the pieces at once. Usually one part was worked to completion. For me, this method spread the tasks and reduced boredom and fatigue.

TurboCNC is free as well as the Linux EMC. TurboCNC is only a G-code interpreter with EMC being a little more but still no CAD/CAM G-Code generation. If you want to make signs, there are several programs that do that without all the overhead of a big CAD/CAM. I suspect there is a section here on CNC Zone just for sign making discussions.

-=Doug
    "IT ≠ IQ " Starwalt 1999

Thanks for help. I think that's a great idea to tap holes after drilling at least everything is going to line up . I've ordered a tap guide so hopefully I'll start on metal work this week . I already have a pillar drill and a bandsaw so that should make some of the cutting easier.software I decided on v carve pro. Really good program and will do everything I need plus its quite idiot proof. Hopefully have unit painted today all going well and fit lights going to use led rope light as I have one spare..