587,507 active members*
2,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question what projector to look for use in DIY 3D scanner

I am converting my mill to cnc and also want to build a 3D scanner just not sure what I want need. I am wanting to put a fourth axis on my rotary table which will also double as my scanning platform. So far I guess I am going to be using David scan software unless I can find a free full version of some other 3d scanner software. I am trying to decide and looking at all (that I am aware of) options :Laser, Structure light (projector) or kinetic (xbox)
    Form what I have read so far the laser and web cam is the cheapest and can get up to about 15 fps , the CCD camera an Structured light gets 60 fps and is more accurate and faster (I don't really care about the speed but accuracy is what interest me), the kinetic I just know its there as a option. I really haven't found much information on using a rotary table but have seen many hand spinning objects

My question (for right now anyway) if I look on ebay or local adds for a projector what type of projector do I need to look for ? I see LCD, LED, DLP and slide projectors what is the type I need?

3D Scanner

I have used the David 3D Scanner systen with a cheap web camera and hand held, we can pick up indentation of less than .5mm.
    We are using it to scan seating systems so that resolution is great for us.

With a better camera and a automatic scan, rather that hand held you will get far better results.

Have not found anything cheaper that works as well.

DAVID 3D Scanner

Hope this helps.

BBB

I installed the David 3d scanner and bought one of the cameras they sell with there kits Logitech pro 9000 I still have to get a projector or just a laser to go with it , I was leaning towards a projector because it could stay in a fixed spot compared to me having to move the laser up and down by hand. It will probably be after new years holidays before my stepper motors for the mill and rotary table get here anyway.

question for the scanner by "automatic" are you referring to the rotary table or saying I need to make the light source automated also ?

David handles all the light patterns. The laser isnt necessarily moved, rather swept, though fixing it at an angle and linearly moving that would work.

Ive used both extensively. I use an Optoma 670 which is a 1280x768 DLP project..heck shes even got light tunnel collapse starting (mirrors coming unglued in the light tunnel, makes dark corners) it works fantastic!

HOWEVER! Theres a few gotchas. 1. its best to have a dual head video card, so one head can control just the projector while you monitor David. 2. Size. Theres issues with focal points, lens warp, and other physics issues with structured light. Not to say its bad, one guy on the David forums scanned a car with a projector. Thing is, he has to make and align more scans than with a laser. 3. room conditions! i can actually laserscan in the middle of the afternoon in my garage with fluorescent lights on using a 5-25mw green laser. I actually had a problem with structured light trying to scan a guitar neck ..laser durned out the way to go. Also since my setup is automated and highly controllable, i can set the start and end points of my laser, therefore saving time and eliminating unwanted scan data. Structured light, hell, ill pickup half of a room lol.