587,661 active members*
3,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > How much finish work is normal?

How much finish work is normal?

All:

I have been lurking and scouring the posts in preparation for my first CNC router build. One question though is if your making signs/3d scuplts, routed picture frames etc. how much finish work (sanding,prepping) do you normally have to do before you consider it paint/delivery ready? I have a couple of Non-CNC signshops willing to sub the wokr to me but finish time once off the router is unknown to me. Any rules of thumb or experience to share?

Mostly will be hardwoods (oak, cherry,walnut, etc) with some soft thrown in occasionally.

Thanks,Steven

PS.

Will be a KRMX02 machine (4'x8') type running a 3.7KW water cooled spindle
    Inspiring Thought for the Day:

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

LOL.. I guess I inadvertently asked for trade secret tye stuff?

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

This can be based on many different factors, including tool quality, stepover, speeds and feeds, and machine. Ideally you would find a combination of these variables that would allow a quality product produced an acceptable time frame. I know that is kinda vague, but it is a broad question. If you are looking for a answer you can sink your teeth into, I believe you could start with 220 grit sandpaper on most items.

Cory
    CNC Router Parts

More like trial and error stuff.
    Different people can have vastly different opinions on what they would consider paint/delivery ready. Also keep in mind the quality of the finish. I've seen work that was probably finished in 1 hour, and something similar that might take 8 hours. Again, it depends on your expectations and the quality you're looking for.
    As Cory alluded to, in a lot of cases you may find that the time required to prep and finish is inversely proportional to the time spent on the cnc. It's possible to get nearly finished parts right off the machine, but they make take 10x longer than something that needs a bit of prep work.

You'll also find that different wood species require different techniques, and it can take a lot of testing to find out what works best for everything you do.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank guys. I knew it was a "many factors contribute to this" type question. Good advice on I can choose where to spend the time (on the machine or in my hands sanding. I suppose I was jumping the gun a bit talking to shops about possible collaborations/business before I even have a machine built. Really hoping I can pay for the machine at some point. I am hoping it is not like my other stuff that always seems to have more outflow then income

Thanks again, Steven