587,511 active members*
3,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > limited budget, what cutters to buy?

limited budget, what cutters to buy?

I've got about $100 to spend on end mills, cutters, etc. What should I buy to maximize my abilities to cut things. I want to make signs, carve stuff, and make circuit boards. Where are the best deals on bits? What do I need and what can I do without? My router can take 1/4" and 1/8" shanks. I'd also like to engrave aluminum and possibly cut 1/8" aluminum.

I'm sure I need more money to do it all.

Help me spend my money wisely.

Thanks in advance.

I buy a lot from Drillman's Ebay store, BARGAIN BIN, NEW CARBIDE PCB DRILLS items in CARBIDE PLUS store on eBay!

For sign work, you'll want 1/4" V-shaped bits. I use 60deg and 90deg ones for small signs and general V-carving.

1/4" Single Flute endmills are good for wood and plastic. They're workhorse tools for profiling, roughing, etc.

I use ballnose endmills in 1/4", 1/8", and 1/16"(1/8 shank) sizes for finishing work.

He has a variety of small tools for PCB engraving, but I'm not familiar with that work, so I can't help you there. He sells very high quality tools, and I always recommend him.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Don't buy bits for future use. Buy what you need, when you need them and you'll waste much less money on bits you'll never use.

+1 on the Drillman for the best prices by far on small bits.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

drillman has ball tip bits but they're stub type. how long of a cutting depth do you recommend? As you can tell, I'm pretty new to this.

The stubbier the better (as long as the collet clears the work piece). Shorter bits run quieter, less runout and less breakage. However, for cutting through a board with an end mill the flute length should be about the board thickness to get the chips out of the slot.
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

just ordered $70 worth of bits from drillman1 and roginsf. Both had great prices. We'll see how my new router cuts soon enough. Thanks for the advice.