587,345 active members*
3,908 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: machine time

machine time

Need help reguarding machining time for a part.

I need a time it would take to machine some grade 5 titanium, if I was to post up an IMG and sizes would it be possible for somebody to give me an estimate on machining time.
    Want to make sure it's worth while even considering buying a lathe to make these parts, then I could work a price out before jumping in so to speak. DOC would be about 1mm using just a small CNC hobby lathe.

Be much appreciated if somebody could do this.

Thanks

Sent from a GS4 using tapacrap

Re: machine time

You should be able to ballpark this yourself with just a pen, paper, and calculator. Make assumptions for spindle speed, feed rate, and depth of cut and start calculating. The more accurate your assumptions, the more accurate your estimate will be. Don't forget to allow time for writing the code, sawing off the work piece from bar stock, and clean up of the part.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    You should be able to ballpark this yourself with just a pen, paper, and calculator. Make assumptions for spindle speed, feed rate, and depth of cut and start calculating. The more accurate your assumptions, the more accurate your estimate will be. Don't forget to allow time for writing the code, sawing off the work piece from bar stock, and clean up of the part.

Mike
    cheers mike

The only problem is the speed and feed to use, I turned some Ti on an old myford ML7. Don't no what speed I was running, and same for feed. I could guess and say on that machine I was around 250 revs, but has for feed I don't no went on what gears was fitted. No longer have that lathe so can't evan check with counting Teath. The machine was lacking in power but is only a small machine.

Sent from a GS4 using tapacrap

You can find recommended feed and speed data on-line or better yet, buy Bob Warfield's G-Wizard or Eldar Gerfanov's FSWizard programs.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    You can find recommended feed and speed data on-line or better yet, buy Bob Warfield's G-Wizard or Eldar Gerfanov's FSWizard programs.

Mike
    Thanks

I've done it or at least I think I did..

150 SFM .1 feed per rev

I worked the part out at about 28 mins, that should be on the max side of time. And only taking 1mm cuts, thats all I tuck on the old myford and can only get a small hobby size CNC so based it on the same cut.
    So should be able to get that down a good few mins with a few tweaks, milling will take around an hr.

Thanks

Sent from a GS4 using tapatalk