587,753 active members*
3,041 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool Holder Confusion

I have a Onsrud CNC to cut nested parts on plywood etc. It uses a HSK-63F type tool holder. My question is for you experts who know about these tool holders. Is there a difference in brand names? If I order a HSK-63 F type tool holder from Guhdo or SYIC or Leitz should I expect them to be identical? The tech support at Onsrud is telling me that there is a difference in tapers depending on the brand name. Is this true or are they blowing smoke?

Re: Tool Holder Confusion

W00dM@n

There could be a difference if they are not made to the HSK-63F spec, it does not take much to be wrong on these tool holders, the tolerance on the HSK tool holders is very high, you have to have the taper & the tool face match the spindle perfect, or you will have trouble
    Mactec54

Re: Tool Holder Confusion

Google came up with this link

It had this paragraph
    In the end, the group chose to define not one, but a total of six HSK shanks. These shank styles are designated by the letters A through F. Each model is also identified by the diameter of the shank's flange in millimeters. Styles A, B, C, and D are for low-speed applications. E and F are for high speeds. The main differences between the styles are the positions of the drive slots, gripper-location slots, coolant holes, and the area of the flange. Each style was defined for certain applications. It is critical that the proper type of HSK tooling be specified on high-speed machine tools, not just the correct size.