587,744 active members*
2,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Getting off of first base - seem to need help!

I've built a CNC router based on the Shapeoko 2 and have all the mechanical and electronic systems working with no problems. Where I seem to be having a problem is how to cut utilizing more than ONE layer. I know I'm missing some simple thing, but at this point everything I've created in my cad software (Corel Cad 2015), converted to g-code (actually .tab file) using lazy cam, and loaded into Mach 3 (licensed) only cuts one layer. In essence Mach 3 seems to see my files as 2d, no matter how deep they are in the Z axis.

Open to any suggestions.

Re: Getting off of first base - seem to need help!

It sounds like you're just making 2D files so far. CorelCAD seems to be CorelDraw with some 3D abilities added, but the only 3D export format I could see offered is STL, which LazyCAM won't recognize, since it's just a 2D CAM utility. If you do have a 3D model saved as STL you need a 3D CAM program to deal with it, converting it into multi-layered toolpaths that Mach3 can execute. If you're looking for a free one, try Freemill from Mecsofthttp://mecsoft.com/freemill/ It's really basic, but that's probably a good thing at this point. When you want a more sophisticated CAM program you can graduate to VisualMill (which costs money, but is worth it.)

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com ? Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

In essence Mach 3 seems to see my files as 2d, no matter how deep they are in the Z axis.

Mach3 does exactly what the g-code is telling it to do.
    If it's not doing what you expect, than the problem probably lies in LazyCAM.

I'd recommend spending a lot of time learning LazyCAM, or getting something that's easier to use and more powerful (Just about anything else).

There's a LazyCAM manual here:
    LAZYCAM MANUAL
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Andrew, I give freemill a try this afternoon. I don't mind buying software I need and that works, but this is a hobby for me and some of the prices I've seen on some stuff costs three times what I spent building my machine! I just can't afford that for where I'm at in life. If visual mill woks I'll check it out too, I've not seen it yet.

If there are others I should check out, please feel free to pass them along.

You could also check out DeskProto; it has a lot of features, including a 2-side "wizard" for flipping parts over and support for a 4th axis. They have a great price for hobbyists, and the demo version will work for a month. If you're making artistic as opposed to mechanical-type parts, it could be the best choice for you.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com ? Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Thanks for the manual Gerry! I'm sure I saw a link for it someplace on the Mach 3 website when I was researching Mach 3, but as you know, it's kind of a confusing jumble.

Vectric software is also excellent, though I don't know how the price compares. They have a range of products though. Most I think use Vcarve or aspire.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Thanks Gfacer2. As a matter of fact, I just downloaded the trial for cut2d which sells for $149 - right where I think a lot of hobbyist are. It's a fairly simple and intuitive program from what I've seen so far.

Last night I finally got Mach 3 to display that a part I had designed had depth in the Z axis. I hope this means I'm getting closer to my eventual goal with the machine.