587,776 active members*
2,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 4 or 5 Axis?

4 or 5 Axis?

Ok guys,

I want to build a machine to make 3d models of cars, rockets and the like. Now 3 axis just won't cut it. can I do it with 4 axis or do I need to go with 5 axis and 4,5 axis being the cutter arm? if so do I just use the 3 axis plans I have and modify the cutter arm to allow the other two axis. I only purchased my plans on Sat from Rockcliff and I'm kinda lost. any help would be appreciated especially if you have plans for a 5 axis router. I want to cut from foam, plastic and light density wood. I will be buying my motors and controller from Hobby CNC as they're the cheapest that I can find.

Gerald

Sounds like you have a 3 axis up and running? You could try and make a go of it by doing the left side then right side separate. Then assemble the 2 halves. Most cars and rockets have some undercuts from that side view - but you could work that out too. You could prove that real quickly in CAD for the first project.

There is a good site shopwing using Globe Motor rotary table bits for a 4 and 5 axis build. Rainner (my bad spelling -- he does a lot of Keltic knots etc -- based in Scotland I recall) - could search here or google to get a good idea
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_5axis.htm is the site High Seas was thinking of.

I'm also interested in doing what gclay9999 wants, 3d models etc. A conversion of the rockcliff design with a 4 or 5 axis. If anyone has more info on doing this, that would be great.