587,421 active members*
3,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > Stalling while broaching on Puma 230 MS

Stalling while broaching on Puma 230 MS

Hi,

I am currently trying to get a run of parts out that requires a 7/16" hex broach in the end of them. I am using a Slater tools rotary broaching head, and had pretty good success broaching in 12L14 however now I must do the same feature in 304 stainless and our Puma is stalling out about 100"-.150" deep (finished depth will be .380"). I get alarm 2005 stating there is low hydraulic pressure and to inspect the pressure switch, pressure value, and look for leaks. There is definitely no leaks, so that only leaves two options. I checked the pressure on the gauge when the hydraulics are on idling - it reads around 800 psi.

I went through my whole setup on the broaching head and verified I'm on center, the head is dialed in and even cut the bore oversized - but it always stalls. Is there anything I can readily adjust or check to get these done? My boss isn't going to want to call in a tech if we don't absolutely have to as we just spent 10k rebuilding the spindle and he's still a little sore about it.

Any help is totally appreciated!

Thanks,
    Bret

Re: Stalling while broaching on Puma 230 MS

First off, let me say that I cannot endorse using a broach against the spindle bearings as it will damage them.
    Second, a 2005 alarm states to have low pressure. If you have significant pressure showing on a gauge then the problem is with the switch. If you have lack of pressure on an analog gauge then the switch is reporting correctly... check for leaks, or issues with the pump. (Leaks can be internal, but they would have to be massive to show up as a low pressure alarm)
    Doosan Service Technician
    [email protected] O:973-618-2461 M:973-803-9479

Follow-up:

The Hydraulics dropping out are a symptom of the problem.
    The Axis is likely overloading, and kicking out the hydraulics by generating an E-Stop condition.
    When you see it stopped, all you see is the NC Ready <green> button is out and a 2005 alarm is currently present.

Check the Load Monitor screen to see how much load is occurring on a part that does not fault, compared to a part that does.
    (on the POSition page, press the MONI soft-key to display the <load monitor>)

Thanks for getting in touch with me this morning! I really appreciate the help, I also spoke with Jose and he recommended some options for me. We have finally achieved some minor success with this part, we ran the bore substantially deeper and increased the bore diameter prior to broaching and have not surpassed 120% load on the Z-axis. I also added in about .005" of taper to the bore to create the best situation possible. When I spoke with Jose, he recommended checking out MD Tooling for their live tooling broach. After seeing a video on their site of it in action, that seems like a better way of going about a broaching operation on a lathe. Hopefully this will be the first and only run we see of these parts.

Thanks again for the help!
    Bret

You are most welcome. I'm glad that you have achieved satisfactory results.

To re-iterate, broaching on a CNC lathe is not good for the bearings. (both the ballscrew and the spindle)