587,997 active members*
2,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > Time to get first CNC Router. What software

Time to get first CNC Router. What software

After years of wanting to pull the trigger on CNC I've finally got the cash set aside for a router. But I need a recommendation on software. Obviously I'm a beginner but have no problems growing into pro software. Aspire is the top software option with the bundle and I can get it for a little over $1700. Any experience here? I definitely want 3d capability. Is this CAD and CAM in one package? What are my other options along the same budget? Thanks

Re: Time to get first CNC Router. What software

OK, the main thing is what do you want to do. Aspire is a great program for carving type work, and general 2D and 2.5D work, but its not the be all and end all on the cad side (haven't used so can't be more definitive, but I would suspect solid works and rhino would offer more modeling tools by a good margin, but I'd also guess lots of users have all of those three too. Its not going to be as good in some other applications where you need full 3D cad and cam, but that would likely be more commercial uses.

And, often you can think creatively to make up for shortcomings. I have Master cam and vectric's new cut2D pro....most of what I do day to day is fine for cut2D.

From what I know though, aspire is probably overkill if you aren't using the carving/3d aspects regularly.