587,743 active members*
3,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Understanding Tormach TTS and my CNC

Hybrid View

Understanding Tormach TTS and my CNC

I came across Tormach TTS system and it (and copies) look great. But, I am seeing that these are for R8 spindles. Is this correct? Is there anything similar?

Bottom line - what is recommended to get the most out of a Chinese 2.2kw water cooled ER20 spindle (2 2KW Water Cooled Spindle Motor Engraving Milling Grinding ER20 Top Quality CNC | eBay)

Thanks!

Re: Understanding Tormach TTS and my CNC

I seem to recall someone posting about some height-repeatable collets for ER spindles. Unfortunately, I don't remember what they're called. I'll do some quick searching and come back and edit this post if I find them.

Here's the post... Following the little link next to rowbare's name will bring you to some discussion about those collets.
    Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    I agree, toolchanges with ER are a pain. Something like this: Ti-Loc SwissClamp: ER Taper Integrated Saw Arbors and Mill Holders for CNC Machines can make it manageable though. With solid holders like this, you can set all of your offsets up front. I don't want to know how much they cost though... OTOH the ER spec is well known so it wouldn't be hard to make a handful of them.

bob

I'm pretty sure you can use the Tormach TTS tooling with ANY spindle style.
    As long as you have a 3/4" collet, and the tool can be pulled up flush, against the spindle nose.

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can use the Tormach TTS tooling with ANY spindle style.
    As long as you have a 3/4" collet, and the tool can be pulled up flush, against the spindle nose.
    I am pretty sure the max collet size on the ER20 is 1/2", but I am going to contact them anyways to see what my options are...

what is recommended to get the most out of a Chinese 2.2kw water cooled ER20 spindle
    You may find, when you actually look up inside the ER20 taper, that there is a thread up inside there. That is, inside the ER20 fitting, not the collet. You can put a specially-made bolt into that thread to act as a backstop to the shank of a cutter. Insert cutter, press up with finger, and tighten.

In some cases that thread may be left-handed, so you will have to make your own bolt. You will have to devise someway of tightening it in place, without interfering with the contact surface. An exercise for the reader.

Of course, there may be no thread there. Tough.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    You may find, when you actually look up inside the ER20 taper, that there is a thread up inside there. That is, inside the ER20 fitting, not the collet. You can put a specially-made bolt into that thread to act as a backstop to the shank of a cutter. Insert cutter, press up with finger, and tighten.

In some cases that thread may be left-handed, so you will have to make your own bolt. You will have to devise someway of tightening it in place, without interfering with the contact surface. An exercise for the reader.

Of course, there may be no thread there. Tough.

Cheers
    Roger
    This is what I would try, it would give you a location point, which is what TTS does, it would be internal though. Then a tool table would be needed to list the different tool lengths you are going to use.
    I didnt see your software called out but if its Mach 3 the tools could be entered into its tool table.
    mike sr

TTS will NOT work with any ER collet chuck, and it would be pointless to try anyway. The reasons to use are quick toolchanges, and repeatable Z height. Putting a TTS holder in an ER chuck, even if it were possible (which it's not, due to the TTS shank length alone), you would have neither of these advantages. So why would you even try to do it?

Regards,
    Ray L.

TTS will NOT work with any ER collet chuck, and it would be pointless to try anyway. The reasons to use are quick toolchanges, and repeatable Z height. Putting a TTS holder in an ER chuck, even if it were possible (which it's not, due to the TTS shank length alone), you would have neither of these advantages.
    I'm with Ray here. Physically impossible.
    Fergedit.

Cheers
    Roger

Brain fart.
    ER20 collets ain't that big. OOPS!!
    For some reason I was thinking of 5C collets. :tired:

They would and do work in a ER32 collet, which goes up to 3/4". JohnGrimmso ran a TTS holder in a ER32 the other week in his new Mazak. He forgot to order a few collets and/or holders that he needed for his tooling.They also make ER40 and ER50 collets.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC8 View Post
    They would and do work in a ER32 collet, which goes up to 3/4". JohnGrimmso ran a TTS holder in a ER32 the other week in his new Mazak. He forgot to order a few collets and/or holders that he needed for his tooling.They also make ER40 and ER50 collets.
    While an ER32 chuck with a 3/4 collet will grab a TTS shank, it will NOT allow the shank to be full inserted, as the TTS shank is 1-3/8" long, and the ER32 is not that deep. And, you will NOT get repeatable Z height.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I have been looking at this recently as well.
    I won't know if there is a set screw stop in my spindle until it arrives, but mine is made by GMT, so I expect it may be there. For smaller tools, you can order them with stop collars already on them. I have some here that are 1/8" that I have used in my mill. They do lock in the same spot between tools or at least very close. I bought a few Dorian collets and a new collet nut, so that may help some with quicker tool changes.Not nearly as quick as TTS of course.
    Also something to note.
    Those no name brand TTS have shown some runout before.
    I would really be concerned spinning them at 24000 RPM. Not so much for coming loose, but certainly a consideration for early bearing failure in the spindle.
    Lee

Those no name brand TTS have shown some runout before.
    Collets are funny things. I have ER-series collets from Kennelec, Mari Tool and China. The runout on all three brands is about the same, less than the DIN spec. I dare say the really cheap Chinese stuff may be unreliable, but the good Chinese stuff seems fine. Chuckle - they probably ALL manufacture them on the same German CNC machines.

Cheers
    Roger