587,834 active members*
5,305 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need help to select spindle motor

Hi all

I just finish build my first CNC machine every think work good about part XYZ 500 X400X300mm
    and I'm a little confusion to select good and right spindle motor after search on the internet i find the power for spindle motor will be good for me about 1.5KW to 2.2WK
    so i select spindle motor 2.2KW with VFD
    Right now i have Two options
    1:
    CNCShop Spindle Motor CNC Spindle Motor 2.2KW and VFD Drive 2.2KW 3HP Variable Frequency Drive inverter (2.2KW VFD + 2.2KW Water Cooled Spindle Motor) - - Amazon.com
    2:
    Amazon.com: 220v 2.2KW Water Cooled Er20 Japanese Bearing CNC Spindle Motor and Matching 2.2kw Variable Frequency Drive Inverter: Home Improvement
    the main different between the spindle motors
    1- The price 260$ Vs 325$
    2- the first one Vfd is cheap copy
    3- Japanese Bearing for second one
    4- second one speed start form 0 ~ 24000RPM first one speed 8000 ~24000RPM
    5 both use cooling water
    the first on has good reviews the other non review
    can any one advice me witch one better
    and if there any one use spindle motor at same power and has great test about his spindle motor please tell me about your test and where you buy your spindle motor.
    Note : my application for milling wood plastic and aluminum

Re: need help to select spindle motor

Quote Originally Posted by yamanmax View Post
    Hi all

I just finish build my first CNC machine every think work good about part XYZ 500 X400X300mm
    and I'm a little confusion to select good and right spindle motor after search on the internet i find the power for spindle motor will be good for me about 1.5KW to 2.2WK
    so i select spindle motor 2.2KW with VFD
    Right now i have Two options
    1:
    CNCShop Spindle Motor CNC Spindle Motor 2.2KW and VFD Drive 2.2KW 3HP Variable Frequency Drive inverter (2.2KW VFD + 2.2KW Water Cooled Spindle Motor) - - Amazon.com
    2:
    Amazon.com: 220v 2.2KW Water Cooled Er20 Japanese Bearing CNC Spindle Motor and Matching 2.2kw Variable Frequency Drive Inverter: Home Improvement
    the main different between the spindle motors
    1- The price 260$ Vs 325$
    2- the first one Vfd is cheap copy
    3- Japanese Bearing for second one
    4- second one speed start form 0 ~ 24000RPM first one speed 8000 ~24000RPM
    5 both use cooling water
    the first on has good reviews the other non review
    can any one advice me witch one better
    and if there any one use spindle motor at same power and has great test about his spindle motor please tell me about your test and where you but your spindle motor.
    Note : my application for milling wood plastic and aluminum
    Don't get confused with the spec's they put out there 6,000 RPM is the minimum speed for all the 2.2 Kw water cooled spindles, and that is if you have a good VFD

You want to make sure the spindle has a 4 Pin/wire connector, some have 3Pin that has to be changed to use it
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Don't get confused with the spec's they put out there 6,000 RPM is the minimum speed for all the 2.2 Kw water cooled spindles, and that is if you have a good VFD

You want to make sure the spindle has a 4 Pin/wire connector, some have 3Pin that has to be changed to use it

many thanks i have put question for both and i will see what there answer
    but right now I don't know how many wire connector.

For all practical purposes, they are both basically the same thing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Did you end up getting one of the spindles you mentioned? I am also looking at

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1UY2YMGL7FILQ

Wondering what you found out about the 3 or 4 pin connector?

Quote Originally Posted by huebert View Post
    Did you end up getting one of the spindles you mentioned? I am also looking at

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1UY2YMGL7FILQ

Wondering what you found out about the 3 or 4 pin connector?
    it 3 pin connectors

it 3 pin connectors
    Don't buy a spindle if they have a 3 Pin connector, that is for the Chinese market only, they are the only country that uses a 3 Pin Connector the 4th pin is for a Ground/Earth connection and you don't want to be without it having a Ground/Earth connection
    Mactec54

I ended up ordering this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like it has a 4 pin, and i will replace the water pump with something better. Hopefully this one is okay. I spent so many hours researching and feel like i never learned anything. Its really hard to tell with these Chinese spindles because they all advertise the same things and rarely how many pins the connector is.

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by huebert View Post
    I ended up ordering this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like it has a 4 pin, and i will replace the water pump with something better. Hopefully this one is okay. I spent so many hours researching and feel like i never learned anything. Its really hard to tell with these Chinese spindles because they all advertise the same things and rarely how many pins the connector is.

Thanks for the help
    if you want to start your first project don't go to high end spindle motor you want just to learn how this think work together
    before i select me spindle motor i ask the seller how many wire and he 4 and it's came 3 first i was very angry then i said it's Ok it's not end the world
    my machine was all part finish and i want just to run my machine with something so i connect the wire and run the spindle motor and since 5 moth ago the spindle work fine no problem at all
    and just one note before you buy the VFD make sure it's possible to control the VFD with your computer it will be so cool to control the VFD .

Its not a problem when U buy a 3 wire motor 4th one is PE so U can simple connect it to chasis.
    Most VFD's can be controlled with computer, but U need analog output (usually 0-5V or -5 -+5V depending on VFD).

if you want to start your first project don't go to high end spindle motor you want just to learn how this think work together
    before i select me spindle motor i ask the seller how many wire and he 4 and it's came 3 first i was very angry then i said it's Ok it's not end the world
    my machine was all part finish and i want just to run my machine with something so i connect the wire and run the spindle motor and since 5 moth ago the spindle work fine no problem at all
    and just one note before you buy the VFD make sure it's possible to control the VFD with your computer it will be so cool to control the VFD .
    And when something goes wrong you or someone using your machine will get electrocuted

Run a Ground /Earth wire from the Spindle to the VFD to be safe
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by steryd View Post
    Its not a problem when U buy a 3 wire motor 4th one is PE so U can simple connect it to chasis.
    That is not a satisfactory Ground/Earth connection as you have moving sliding parts which give you a poor connection, a PE wire is needed from the spindle to the VFD to have a correct Ground/Earth connection
    Mactec54

I ment spindle motor chasis, not machine chasis

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    And when something goes wrong you or someone using your machine will get electrocuted

Run a Ground /Earth wire from the Spindle to the VFD to be safe
    you are right safety first .

yes, this is for safety for your own....