587,218 active members*
2,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb My CNC AIRBRUSH machine :-)

Quak

Very cool, how are you controlling the on / off of the air brush
    Mactec54

THX :-) Airbrush is controlled by stepper motor as 4th axis.... Finaly will be machine with 3 Aribrush controled as 6-axis system :-)

that's cool:cheers:

You need to enable the video for mobile devices. Can't see it on my ipoop.

Awesome!

Excellent work.
    I would never have thought of using an airbrush and using it on fabric is brilliant.

Cheers
    Peter
    The ingenuity of idiots is unlimited.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cncnutz

That is just about the coolest thing I've seen in a while! Love it! I'd love to know more about how you regulate the air pressure so well on the strokes?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Hi Ian,
    Air pressure is not regulated... Controled is only airbrush needle by stepper motor ...

Ota

That is just about the coolest thing I've seen Awesome

Unbelievable! I do shirts by hand with my airbrush and have multiple CNC machines but never thought of combining them!

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

Same detail pictures Attachment 201678Attachment 201680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_UP_IMG_2047.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	201682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_UP_IMG_2067.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	201684

Hey that is just one of the coolest things I've seen up here. I don't know how an airbrush works but I was curious about the post. Did you create the post with a percentage for air on/off in the code to get the different results? It almost looks like a waterjet post would work but modified to open a percentage for pressure or to open and close a spray valve or something. But I mean the concept just looks like a 2 axis post modified. Thanks for sharing!
    CNC Dude

Quote Originally Posted by CNCdude View Post
    Hey that is just one of the coolest things I've seen up here. I don't know how an airbrush works but I was curious about the post. Did you create the post with a percentage for air on/off in the code to get the different results? It almost looks like a waterjet post would work but modified to open a percentage for pressure or to open and close a spray valve or something. But I mean the concept just looks like a 2 axis post modified. Thanks for sharing!
    CNC Dude
    He said it's controlled by stepper, which I take to mean that it's a dual action air brush. Essentially, the air pressure is always on which prevents dripping at the initial release of media. When using an airbrush of this type manually, the air is turned on by pressing the button, but at that point no media comes out. After you have the air going, you then pull the button back to open the needle of the brush, which controls the amount of media that leaves the brush. That combined with distance to the surface would allow you to control the size and intensity of the spray pattern. I imagine that you could control the intensity (how open the needle is) by using the "spindle speed" portion of the code This is normally a scale and could then be expressed as an absolute position for the stepper to go to for each needle position.

For example, in a post processor you could express the "spindle speed" with an "A" argument (not sure it really qualifies as an argument, but it's followed by a parameter, so...) in front instead of "S" followed by the numerical value that was entered for the spindle speed. This would produce the needed code for a 4th axis that directly relates to the intended air brush intensity. It would take very little to modify a post processor to operate a machine that way, you'd just have to remember what the scale for the needle opening is along with how the distance and feedrate correlate to the opacity and size. M3 could still be used as a spindle on/off sort of command by sending the signal from M3 to turn on the air supply via an air solenoid. I can't say that's exactly the way he did it, but that's how it could be done I suppose. Very creative for sure!

Easily one of the coolest things I've seen in CNC for quite a while.

Very cool

that's really cool!

mmne: It is accurate :-)
    Now exist version with 3 airbrush guns controlled MACH3 as axis A, B C
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC Airbrush - Z Axis.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	217458

Quote Originally Posted by quak View Post
    mmne: It is accurate :-)
    Now exist version with 3 airbrush guns controlled MACH3 as axis A, B C
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC Airbrush - Z Axis.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	217458
    That looks beautifully made. Now you can do more than one color! Really some fantastic stuff and you're making it even better.

I'm curious, do you use a V-carve type of application to control the width of the spray pattern? Seems like you could invert the way a V-carve works if you know the angle of the cone of spray and vary the height of the Z axis that way. Would be a bit tricky since the feedrate or the spray intensity would have to vary based on the Z height as well. Very cool stuff though....

Re: My CNC AIRBRUSH machine :-)

Fantastic !