587,999 active members*
5,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: ATC Problem

ATC Problem

My son was running the 1100 today and ran into a problem. After pressing Cycle Start, he noticed one part was crooked in the fixture and pressed the RESET Button (soft on the display). The machine was in a tool change cycle and stopped mid cycle. After I returned home I set about to reset the ATC.

The spindle was down on the tool shank and clamped. I released the drawbar and jogged the spindle up. As soon as pressure was released on the tool the Tray shot out to the Tray Out position. I then tried t reset the ATC. No matter which button was pressed Tray In, Tray Out, Reference Tray, Tray Forward, Tray Reverse, the Tray will make one complete revolution counterclockwise and stop.

Standard fixes have been tried, power down, etc. with no results.

Any experience or ideas?

gary

Re: ATC Problem

If it's not re-referencing itself on first use after power-on (tray spins around, then does a back/forth to find center), the tray index sensor might be broken.

I try to avoid interrupting the ATC as it can be annoying to reset, but never seen this.

Are you on path pilot?
    I had issues like that on Mach 3 but so far on path pilot I only had a few initial issues similar when I was setting it up.
    I would switch to path pilot.
    What I had to do in Mach was just re-start everything.
    A few times I had to te-load Mach.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    My son was running the 1100 today and ran into a problem. After pressing Cycle Start, he noticed one part was crooked in the fixture and pressed the RESET Button (soft on the display). The machine was in a tool change cycle and stopped mid cycle. After I returned home I set about to reset the ATC.

The spindle was down on the tool shank and clamped. I released the drawbar and jogged the spindle up. As soon as pressure was released on the tool the Tray shot out to the Tray Out position. I then tried t reset the ATC. No matter which button was pressed Tray In, Tray Out, Reference Tray, Tray Forward, Tray Reverse, the Tray will make one complete revolution counterclockwise and stop.

Standard fixes have been tried, power down, etc. with no results.

Any experience or ideas?

gary

Yeah, still on Mach 3. I have Path Pilot, purchased last summer sitting next to the machine, just haven't changed over yet. Sounds like the time to change is here.

After continuing to plug at the problem, the issue went away but some of the tool length offsets were off by 10+".

TIME TO CHANGE!

Well after going away, the ATC problem came back.

After studying the facts it seemed that the fault was in the referencing of the tool tray. After determining where the sensor was, I ran the tool tray in and rotated the tray to look at the sensor magnet. Low and behold the magnet that trips the reference sensor was encrusted with small chips, fines, metal dust, rust, etc. Managed to brush it off with a paint brush used for chips and the tray imediately referenced. Everything now seems to be back to normal.

gary