587,822 active members*
2,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Black on White Acrylic Labels

My company decided to invest in a laser engraver to make our own aluminum data plates for pieces of equipment we manufacture. I however am trying to figure out how to use it for engraving Black on White Rowmark Lasermax acrylic sheets for control panel labels. The problem I am experiencing is that the laser burns the black layer off leaving some residue behind. When wiped off with a washcloth and denatured alcohol or any other kind of solution the residue just ends up in the white lettering leaving all the letters gray instead of white. I've also tried using an air compressor on the labels afterwards to blow the residue away but it doesn't remove everything and I still end up with a small amount of residue that ends up ruining the white lettering. I've used numerous power and speed settings to reduce the cutting to the absolute minimum to produce as little residue as possible but still end up with enough of it to get into my lettering after I blow it off and wipe it down. I called the company we bought the laser engraver from and they suggested scanning the letters twice. The second pass does indeed burn the residue off of the lettering fairly well but I still end up with enough residue outside of the lettering that makes its way into my letters after I try to wipe it down.

As a complete novice at this I expect that there is some technique that I can implement that would solve my problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? One thing I saw online was someone using some paper masking for acrylic and woods. I'm thinking that would help since I can just peel the masking away which would take the residue with it. Although, this just adds another step and cost in material in my process that I would like to avoid if possible Any thoughts?

Re: Black on White Acrylic Labels

HI
    not sure I dont use plastics, but it sounds like a cnc router would be more appropriate- just a thught
    try here
    Rowmark - Product Tips - Laser Guide

dave

Having the same problem as you and waiting in anticipation for a reply but waiting in vain it seems.

However, I've just found this which seems pretty interesting. Not tried it yet but will shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBlcLtudxPs

have your tried laser marking machine?
    maybe laser engraver is not a very good tool for this material.