588,074 active members*
4,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Here is an easy one, Tool Calibration.

I am new to a Multicam 1000 Router with an ATC. I finally changed a worn compression bit and now I cant get it Calibrated. I am sure I am missing something obvious and I am going by the calibration instructions in the manual but, I keep getting a different z height when I change tools to the same tool height. I'm befuttled, please help me.

Re: Here is an easy one, Tool Calibration.

Hi
    Not too sure what your problem actually is regarding calibration.(1) Change the cutter , (2) Fit the grounding clip to the tool holder. (3) On the pendant hit menu /ATC/ calibrate (4) select tool number that you wish to calibrate. It will then move to the grounding block position. (5) Jog Z down until the tip of the cutter is a half inch ( Or closer ) to the grounding block then press (& hold ) "0" ( Blue Key centre bottom ) . Depending on how old your machine is you may get a message to remind you to fit the grounding clip. Once it has moved down to the block it will move back to it`s starting point. And you have calibrated the tool. As a side note I have found that if you calibrate a cutter then use that same cutter without first resetting max depth you will chew into the spoil board. If you select another tool then cancel out and pick up the one you have just calibrated and run then it will be fine. Don`t know why that is but I`m guessing it`s just a bug. Hope this helps you .

Re: Here is an easy one, Tool Calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Routerfiend View Post
    Hi
    Not too sure what your problem actually is regarding calibration.(1) Change the cutter , (2) Fit the grounding clip to the tool holder. (3) On the pendant hit menu /ATC/ calibrate (4) select tool number that you wish to calibrate. It will then move to the grounding block position. (5) Jog Z down until the tip of the cutter is a half inch ( Or closer ) to the grounding block then press (& hold ) "0" ( Blue Key centre bottom ) . Depending on how old your machine is you may get a message to remind you to fit the grounding clip. Once it has moved down to the block it will move back to it`s starting point. And you have calibrated the tool. As a side note I have found that if you calibrate a cutter then use that same cutter without first resetting max depth you will chew into the spoil board. If you select another tool then cancel out and pick up the one you have just calibrated and run then it will be fine. Don`t know why that is but I`m guessing it`s just a bug. Hope this helps you .
    If you have the ATC select the tool you want to calibrate before you fit the grounding clip.

When using the grounding block for calibration or setting levels pay attention to how it feels when the tool hits the block. Sometimes the circuit doesn't work perfectly, perhaps because of some resin on the tool, so if it doesn't feel "immediate" then do it again.