587,613 active members*
4,624 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question TTS issue on G0704

Hi all.

I just purchased an initial set of TTS holders for my G0704 and I am confused by how the system is fitting together. I understood that the point of TTS was that (in addition to being "quick change") it would allow me to repeatably register the Z axis by seating the flange of the TTS tool holder against the base of the conversion adapter (R8 in the case of the G0704).

However, I have found that when I install the TTS R8 adapter and begin to tighten the drawbar, the face of the adapter is pulled in to the spindle taper such that the face of the TTS adapter is recessed above the spindle face. This means that the tool holders seat against the spindle face, not the TTS adapter face. I don't know if the spindle face is machined flat or not, but in any case this doesn't seem to be how it should work. I can envision an adapter ring that would provide a bearing surface proud of the spindle face but don't know if such a thing exists or I would have to make it (or have it made).

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

/afb

Re: TTS issue on G0704

The tts holders are supposed to bottom out on the face of the spindle. This also give a wider bearing area for the toolholder. It should not touch the collet itself. For this to work properly the spindle face must be perpendicular to the spindle.
    Dave

They are intended to seat against the spindle face. The R8 collet is ground to ensure that it does not prevent the TTS flange from seating against the spindle face.

For best results, Make sure your spindle is trammed perpendicular to the table. Clamp a lathe tool in in your vise, oriented to cut the bottom of the spindle face.
    Start your spindle and slowly move the head across the lathe tool taking just enough off to assure you have full contact with the spindle nose.

Thanks all. I was obviously confused by the neat way that the R8 adapter face seems to mate with the TTS tool holder flange.