587,619 active members*
3,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Stepper motors.

Hi all,

Finally got my new set of keling 3 axis stepper drive and motors. Can't wait to have them tested. I have never handled a stepper motor before, so this is my first time.

Anyway, i am wondering if anyone here can help me out. I checked the 3 motors sent to me and I found that I can easily turn the shaft of two of the motors. I can feel the microstep as I turn it. However, one of the motor seems to have a lot more resistance when I try to turn the shaft and the microstep felt a lot bigger than the other two motors.

Is it normal to have the stepper motors like that or one or two of them may have some problem? Thanks in advance.

Generally speaking they should all feel the same IF you bought all the same motors. As far as the resistance goes make sure none of your wires are not touching each other and are not touching anything metal.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply. John from Keling was nice enough to give me a call and sorted the matter out. He said the resistance is as a result of the buildup of left over something, I forget. So if I connect them up, the current or voltage will dissipate and the motor will work fine again. I think.

He should know, they are his product. I have seen a lot of posts about keling and probably more than 90% were positive, also a lot of them say he has gone above and beyond. When I need some more motors I will buy from him!

I had something similiar, I found that if you got all the wires and twisted them together that the stepper was nearly impossible to turn with your fingers, no power applied whatsoever (these were 8 wire motors).

Good Luck!!!

Russell.