587,171 active members*
3,080 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > need wiring schem for a slo-syn stepper

need wiring schem for a slo-syn stepper

i bought a stepper on ebay and can t find any wiring schem on the net and i was wondering if someone knows the wiring for a slo-syn nema 42 M112-FJ12

thanks
    curt

I have the full range of the Slo-Syn catalogues and it show the motor specs and terminals, but oddly does not show the wiring. You should be able to do it quite simply with a meter to decifer the two sperate windings with centre-tap. ( 6 ends).
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have 3 of these, using 1 now. I just put a meter on it and identified the coils easy enough. Worked 1st time.

Very good motor, BTW.
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

found a pdf for a driver that uses that motor so i ve got the wiring ,now i just need to wait for that puppy to be delivered

madclicker , out of curiousity what are the drivers are you running with and what kind of performance are you getting , i figured at 1390 oz bipolar it should be able to handle the z if not break it

any information that i have found shows unipolar and series specs but no parallel , anyone have any idea why ?
    i found a similar model that runs parallel (same specs) , i'm a lil baffled about that

You're kidding about the z, right?

I have one of these on my X, pushing my gorilla gantry. I get 125 ipm rapids...limited by TCNC and my 6 tpi screw.

It's series bipolar with a 201 drive full open. Mine are 6 wire and can only be connected series, half or unipolar.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Madclicker View Post
    You're kidding about the z, right?

i was actually concidering using it on the z axis but if your getting that kind of rapids with a 6 tpi then it s definitely going on the x , with the 2"/rev screws ive got that sucker should haul .the z is where ive had problems on my other setup so i want to go high torque on it , the other motors i've got are newer 770 oz slo-syn motors which should be plenty for the y and z

what voltage are you running yours at ?

as for the parallel , i goofed , ive been thinking 1/2 winding was considered as parallel as well , this motor is 6 wire which will be run 1/2 winding

Using that motor on any DIY project z axis I've seen would be like dropping a big block in a riding mower.

I built a 60V supply from a microwave tranny. Had to guess at a voltage that would make all 3 motors happy. Works well.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Madclicker View Post
    Using that motor on any DIY project z axis I've seen would be like dropping a big block in a riding mower.

I built a 60V supply from a microwave tranny. Had to guess at a voltage that would make all 3 motors happy. Works well.

i think i see what you mean now, i looked at your build to check it out and noticed a large difference in the nema 42 and 34 ,but it didn t really kick in until i opened the parcel , this sucker is huge , far cry from the nema 23 motors i started with on a previous build

you obviously must be using limit switches ,cause i can see this tweaking a gantry if a guys not paying attention

getting back to the big block in a lawn tractor , fitted with a beer holder i'd be out cutting the grass far more often

No, I haven't done limits or home switches yet, and frankly not a priority. The only time I know that the rails were hit was when I was pushing the buttons and that was always at full jog (lower torque). Even the biggest motor just stalls with not much damage. I did have to redesign the z AB nut setup when it broke, but that was really a design flaw looking for a time to fail.

I have a half acre....will need a double beer holder.
    Steve

What stepper board are you guys using on this stepper?

Hi,
    I also have some of these steppers. I was wondering what stepper board you are using to run these.

Thanks
    zippys

geckos