587,768 active members*
3,326 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > Need advice on a new knee Mill

Need advice on a new knee Mill

I am looking for a NEW knee mill in the less the $20K range. I am looking mostly at the M3X-3s mill from CNC Automation INC.
    www.cncauto.com

Anyone have any experience with this mill. I will be using it for short production runs in plactics and aluminum, prototyping, tool making, assembly fixtures, ect.

Here is my company's web site, there are pictures of some of the products I will be making.

www.speedofsoundllc.com

Thanks for your help, This site has been a big help in my learning the in's and out's of CNC. :cheers:

for 20k you have a lot of option a used Prototrak from Southwest inds. can be had for this price now you are in to a bed mill and not a knee mill for the money you are spending you can do a lot more than this knee mill

Also, for $20K, I'd stay away from R8 holders. You really lose rigidity with this wimpy holder. Move up to CAT40, and you'll be able to take far deeper cuts and increase your production.

Of course, if your get CAT40 holders, then you should get a toolchanger. So, I just spent 50K for you <GRIN>

Karl

I would say it depends on the application, if you plan on cutting alot of plastics and nonferrous materials, an R8 should be adequate. If you are planning on machining any and everything...Cat40 is more logical. The one thing I noticed about the site you were looking was for 16K+, the control seemed somewhat proprietary, and one I have yet to see or hear of. Parts/Support may be issues. However you were getting the full 3rd axis, most machines of that type are two axis using the control asa DRO for "Z". Does come with auto lube. I would research some more and compare to Bridgeport, Chevalier, Clausing Kolchester equipped with Anilam, EZPath, or Prototrax controls. Or look into the Haas toolroom style mills, pretty affordable. The dual head one would be great if you could customize it a bit!
    Best of Luck
    MarkT

Some of the thing I don't like about the Haas TM-1 is little y travel also the max feed is only something like 7.5 because of the no enclosure if you can also use bt-35 holder personally I like the Prototrak DPM x40 y 20 is a good work side but the down side is no tool changer and no ridged tapping

Another downfall to the BP style knee mill is severely inhibited spindle speed - if you are cutting non-ferrous stuff this could be a major consideration.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Thanks for the info guys

Lakeside, I really want something new, Most used mills are being sold because they are used up.

Mark T, The Haas is a nice machine but it is not anywhere near my budget, The base price is $22K but to get a machine that's ready to cut anything it takes $15K worth of options.

mxtras, The machine I am looking at has a max spindle speed of 5,400 RPM, Where would I see the limitation (trying to learn something here)?

Thanks again, and keep the ideas comming. :cheers:

Mike

IT'S ALWAY NICE TO GET SOMETHING NEW BUT A FEW MILES ON A USED CAR WITH A WARRENTIE CAN BUY A LOT MORE TRY THIS SITE

http://www.machinetools.com/MT/machi...p&groupid=8004

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    IT'S ALWAY NICE TO GET SOMETHING NEW BUT A FEW MILES ON A USED CAR WITH A WARRENTIE CAN BUY A LOT MORE TRY THIS SITE

http://www.machinetools.com/MT/machi...p&groupid=8004
    Thanks for the link, I somehow missed that site (I've been searching like crazy).

Your right, I could get allot more for my money buying used, a few miles dosen't bother me.

:cheers:

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikesos1
    mxtras, The machine I am looking at has a max spindle speed of 5,400 RPM, Where would I see the limitation (trying to learn something here)?
    Mike
    Higher rotating speed = faster cycles with smallish tooling in aluminum.

http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/010101.html

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by mxtras
    Higher rotating speed = faster cycles with smallish tooling in aluminum.

http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/010101.html

Scott

Thanks Scott, Great article.

Mike

So nobody owns of has operated one of these mills?

Mike

Not me, but I am sure they would be happy to demo it for you.

Make sure you discuss support and service charges before purchase. Perhaps ask to speak to previous customers - many times the company will have a few happy customers that don't mind to answer a few questions.

I think the main issue would be the control - the machine itself is a proven, basic design (BP copy maybe with box ways) so the primary focus should be the quality of control and the availability of immediate service should something fail first thing on a Monday morning. It looks like a decent machine to me but I would suggest that you also look into a refurbished VMC since it's just about in your budget. You would probably get more mileage out of a VMC (tool changer) but I don't really know exactly what you are doing, how you operate, etc, etc.

Scott

One Question You Should Ask Is What Is The Baud Rate And Memory Of Controller If You Have A SmalL Memory With A Slow Baud Rate Your Upload Time From Pc Could Be Longer Than Cycle Time On Long Files

I could be wrong but it looks to me that their controller is PC based - I did not look at it that closely and that is just a guess, though.

Scott

Mike

If you are near Memphis that is to your advantage. Any big city like that will have a couple large used machinery dealers. Go visit them. Tell them what you want to do and how much money you have.

For $15K to $20K you will see lots of VMCs that have tool changers and lots of years of life left. As I see it Mike if you had a machine with a tool changer with CAT40 you would soon learn why it is so much easier to use. It makes you want to play more and try different things.

Your comment about used machines usually having something wrong with them is generally true. However, you just might happen upon the perfect used machine that "just came in" and was sold for reasons other than it was broken. It happens all the time. Do not be afraid to ask about the machines history.

Cheers
    Dave

If you could win a machine like this for $12,000 you would be all set. You need $4000 for a PP phase converter and $2000 for rigging it in to your shop. And some money to by a couple tool holders to get you started.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KITAMURA-MYCENTE...QQcmdZViewItem