587,166 active members*
3,753 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > help with pocketing on MCX

help with pocketing on MCX

Hi, i need some help with pocketing for this design. Im using mastercamx and i am having a lot of problems trying to pocket it. The stock is 8mm, the words are 6 mm tall, the circle in the middle is 4mm tall, and the base is 2mm.

I am always getting the error of the chain being open even after i tried to offset the lines and selecting them in a closed loop.

Anybody can give me some help?

here is the attached file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am sure it is possible to figure out with 2-d contour but it would be easier to just use surface rough pocket.

If you prefer to continue with the 2-d pocket routine maybe you could post your .mcx file with the problematic geometry and somebody here can explain where you are going wrong. It is always easier to explain a problem if you can actually see the error instead of just looking at a parasolid and guessing what the problem could be.

May i know how do i access the surface rough pocket tool? Is it still under the pocket tool or under face?

Ok, this is what i tried. I've attached the picture below:

After specifying my mill and stock, i offset the entire design to 4mm and 6mm, this way it will give me the paths for all the different layers. After that i went on to select the pocket toolpath.
    - wire frame
    - C-plane
    - Chain
    - tried select the contour labeled A, but i get an error saying that the boundary is not closed, pls select open pockets or close chain.

Can anybody explain why is it not a closed boundary? Or is there a better method of doing this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mcx_help.JPG  

Here is the surface rough toolpath.

It's hard to explain why a chain is not closed without seeing it. There is probably a tiny gap in it.

How did you create the chains ?

Hey thanks! I'll check it out.
    I create using pocket toolpath, C-plane, wire diagram.

I manage to create some proper pocketing paths, but the next problem which i cannot solve is that one of my letterings is always being pocket away. See attached picture labelled B.

Is there a way i can exclude that contour? I mean there must be a way, but how?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mcx_help2.JPG  

Is there a way i can exclude that contour? I mean there must be a way, but how?
    That letter must not have a closed chain. If you add a closed chain to the toolpath, the toolpath should respect it.

Thanks, i manage to solve it today after discovering the pocketing islanding facing function.

are you 100% sure you do not have double lines?
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

After zooming in by a lot, i realize that there are 2 lines there. one green one grey. My designs are conversion from solidworks -> X_T file format and imported into mastercam.

ANyway, i've simplified the design and succesfully cut it out with 2mm endmill.

I've more pictures at my blog @ http://simplewords.genexis.net/, do check them out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01188.JPG