587,579 active members*
3,394 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Off the shelf milling work table for DIY CNC?

Off the shelf milling work table for DIY CNC?

Hi all! I'm thinking about building a small desktop CNC with a working area of around 100x100mm (so it's small) but capable of cutting aluminum (even slowly). Has anyone tried converting off-the-shelf milling machine work tables, like the one below, in a CNC build? They are cheap and they looks sturdy (made from cast iron). If I'm to build my own, I likely have to stick with building one purely from aluminum (machine shop limitation). But I will be able to use e.g. linear rails for the motion.

Thanks!

sample
    https://www.vevor.com/rotary-table-c...p_010230619047

Re: Off the shelf milling work table for DIY CNC?

Hi,
    those little tables will have lash in the leadscrews. Even a small bit of lash pretty much ruins them for CNC. You need zero lash ballscrews, anything less
    will be disappointing. There will be a small amount of play in the dovetails as well but you should be able to adjust the gibs until that is nearly gone and so is less
    an issue, but leadscrew lash will ruin most CNC toolpaths.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Ahh that's a good point. Thanks a lot for your reply!!!

Alan

FWIW I have converted the table you are referencing over to accept Ball Screws on both axis...I have 0 back lash on mine and is very responsive when I move the round handles around...It is true though that the China made screws that comes with the unit are crap...I also re addressed my Gibs to get better fit then working with the stock ones...
    Here's the Amazing Man who did a remarkable upgrade on his drill press...See also his amazing CNC Router he made as well...This video is just towards the ending of his mods he made but he goes on to show what a bit of Enginuity can do...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0qQ...wH6RR&index=31
    Paul