587,997 active members*
3,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What probe to make a scan of my guitar

Hi

I'm new to CNC work and I wonder if there are people who can advise me on an affordable probe to scan my guitar and import the scan in Rhino alter it and make a new guitars with some small changes.

Any suggestions also on manufacturers websites are welcome where a Google search did not bring me to a probe that looked OK to scan a guitar.

Thanks

Meindert

You said you were new to cnc. Do you have a cnc yet? If not, take some time to research as many options as you can and study. I would suggest that probing is not necessary to model a guitar unless you are trying to replicate something exactly as in an antique or rare guitar. Otherwise, just model it in cad and machine it.

I would suggest you take a look at Rhino3d version4 if you want to do this type work because it is both a very accurate technical cad, but an excellent surface modeler as well. Madcam would be my choice for cam to get the gcodes from Rhino to your machine.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I have a Maxnc motors, software and controller package on mine. I bought their version of a probe. It works fine. You end up with a million xyz points when you scan every 1/8 of an inch or so. It may be challenging to edit them to do what you are hoping to achieve.

Looking for a probe

Thanks for the posts. I am living in China and the company that sold me the router only has a laser scanner which is double the price of the router. Problem is that I have a few guitars I like to "renew" and upgrade the wood ect. The probe I am looking for should be simple and effective and I know ther are probes that can do this job easy simple and affordable because it will not be used for 350 days a year !

Thanks again for the tips !

Meindert