587,875 active members*
3,375 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CAM-software for Camshafts

Hello!

I have problem... Do anyone know suitable CAM-software for camshaft grinding?
    I get cam shape in coordinates (half degree steps) software, what calculates
    lift, angles and so on, but how I can transform it to G-code for CNC-grinding
    machine?

Toolpath.

The programmed 'toolpath' if we can call it that is a line grinding wheel radius from the desired surface of the cam. This is a similar problem to cutter radius compensation, but the applied principal is similar.
    This link gives some insight into cutter radius compensation.
    http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/personne...8a.html#999268
    This only works in the XY plane, so we need to calculate the compensation ourselves because the cam appears as a 4th axis being in degrees.
    This requires a polar to rectangular conversion which can be done in line by a g-code interpreter.
    You can solve trig and Pythagoras problems on the fly, where one of the main variables used will be the current wheel radius.
    I haven't done any of this stuff before, so I call some experts who have already done it.
    Not trivial, but some high school maths will solve the problem.
    You need to treat grinding wheel like a very big cam follower.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Camshaft CAM

Any cam software should be able to do this, the kicker is can you create a post that will out put nc code that your machine can run. For example, if I was going to grind a cam on an ANCA, I would rotate the A axis, and either feed the Z or X ( depending on wheel to part orientation ) as needed. I would use the system i have ( ESPRIT ) and post code. As i have created an ANCA post. I could also do this same process on a cnc lathe with C-X axis contouring, with a grinding wheel mounted on a live tool, or any mill/turn.

What machine do you have?