587,184 active members*
3,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Hybrid View

Solidworks G-Code

How do I go about producing G-code from a Solidworks 3D model? Do I need to import the model into software such as Mastercam?

Thanks.

You need to bring your model into a CAM package. Mastercam should work. You'll need to play around a bit to see which format works best (ie. stl, dwg, igus etc).

If you haven't bought Mastercam yet, I'd suggest looking at some more "user friendly" options (i.e. Onecnc or MeshCam).

ok, thanks very much. So mastercam isn't that user friendly then? Do you know if I can import a 3d model into Kcam?

Quote Originally Posted by w i l l
    So mastercam isn't that user friendly then?
    Mastercam is a very powerful program, much like Autocad is in the CAD world. However, its also very non-friendly. Its like the difference between windows and DOS. A co-worker tried to learn it and eventually abandoned it for something friendlier.

Quote Originally Posted by w i l l
    Do you know if I can import a 3d model into Kcam?
    From their website, it seems that Kcam accepts DXF files (.DXF), HPGL files (.PLT) and Excellon ASCII drill files (.NC).

I just checked and I don't see these as options for Solidworks to save as. This could be a problem unless someone else can see a work-around.

I would skip Kcam and keep looking for an alternative with a wider range of file imports.

Carlo

Does mastercam/Onecnc or MeshCam use the printer port as a I/O and can you configure the pins? If so I can operate the router from these types of software.

Quote Originally Posted by w i l l View Post
    ok, thanks very much. So mastercam isn't that user friendly then? Do you know if I can import a 3d model into Kcam?

to an extent it is user-friendly. i have a full working version of 13 and i am in a college class that uses it so i am learning it very well. so far it has been pretty cool. it can do a lot of amazing things.

and actually, i am going to be doing a paper on importing 3D models into mastercam and how it works. I just need to find more information on it.

Oh man, Will, you have got some learning ahead of you

Controller software runs your machine. Cadcam software is used to create machine code to feed into your controller software, which them makes your part.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Oh man, HuFlungDung, I know.

I'm just trying to find out if my router can operate from mastercam/Onecnc or MeshCam. The manufacturer recommends kcam, but I can't import a 3D Solidworks model into this.

I asked the manufacturer and he told me this, "If mastercam uses the printer port as a I/O and you can configure the pins then it should work fine.
    If not then you can probably export the gcode it creates and load it into Kcam".

Hence my question.

I'm assuming then that means configuring the pins of the controller and mastercam etc should use the printer port on the computer.

I'd stay away from KCAM, especially if you want to do 3D work. Download and try Mach3 to run your machine, and use MeshCAM to create the g-code.

CAM software that creates g-code can not run your machine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ok, I haven't actually got a machine, I'm just enquiring. The machine I'm referring to is the one advertised on your site from cncdudez.com.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    CAM software that creates g-code can not run your machine.

I think this is key to avoiding confusion. You actually need two seperate pieces of software.

1-CAM software that will import your 3d file and convert it to toolpaths, and eventually g-code.

2-Control software that will read your g-code and control your motors during machining (this is where ports and pins become important).

Carlo

Will,

I would talk to CNCDUDEZ and see if MACH 3 software will control their machines. KCAM is not worth the hassle.

Dan

Mach3 works fine with our controller box, and is much smoother when running the motors than Kcam because of the LPT driver that is custom designed by the Mach3 guys does perform very well.

Have got to get around to placing up screen shots for people to configure the I/O pins within Mach3 and talk them through the config process , but do plan to in the future.

Also there are other packages we would like to try out that that use the LPT Port in the future and document the config for our controller box.

The main reason we recommend Kcam is because as a beginners package it is easier, not complicated and at a low price.

Also we do have a CNC Basics page on the site that does explain the basics!
    Again needs updating, but we are getting there!

Regards

Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboysd89
    Will,

I would talk to CNCDUDEZ and see if MACH 3 software will control their machines. KCAM is not worth the hassle.

Dan

Mach3 has the tutorial videos to help you set it up on their download page, very helpfull.

http://www.machsupport.com/

Joe

take a look at solidcam, you dont have to export anything.

If you are using solidworks, its a gold solution partner and runs directly inside of it.

you can download a demo that lets you do pretty much everything, except post gcode

You can atleast get an idea of how it works by going thru the tutorials

Mike

Surfcam, Surfcam, Surfcam. You can't go wrong but it costs big dollars to do surfacing. If you are doing 2-d then it is not so bad. If the part is not complicated you should program it by writing the code yourself. Surfcam, Mastercam and the other CAMs are not efficient at programming simple parts. I can go to machine and knock out code for holes, keyways, bolt circles and the like faster than I can make all of the tool selections and geometery slections in cam packages. I am proficient with Surfcam and have tried Mastercam along with Bobcrap (Bobcad).

CT

This may sound like an odd question, but if you already have Solidworks, why not take a look at SolidCam..??

or just Solidacam [and similar] format files??

enjoy..

ok but on http://www.cncdudez.com/ only one software is mentioned... kcam.

Does this both do the job of the controller software and the CAM software?

I'm in the same boat, have solidworks and trying to get to Gcode.. even just 2.5D
    Solidcam might do it, but it must be real expensive since no one will say on a web page what it costs.
    Kinda makes it tough for the small guy.

Quote Originally Posted by vladdy View Post
    This may sound like an odd question, but if you already have Solidworks, why not take a look at SolidCam..??

or just Solidacam [and similar] format files??

enjoy..

KCAM can convert 2D .dxf's to g-code, which could be considered very basic CAM. True CAM software will give you much more control over what you're doing, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Page 1 of 3 123