587,214 active members*
3,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fenner M-Drive

I recently purchased a 2hp DC Motor and a Fenner M-Drive to run it. I intend to use it as my spindle motor on my X3. I got everything wired up and it seemed to run great until the motor tipped, and since I was just using alligator clamps the wires contacted and shorted. Well, after new fuses were put in the thing would still not work, and then all of a sudden smoke came billowing out.

Needless to say, I would like to prevent this from happening again. So... I am powering this with a 30amp breaker. The 220volt seems to work fine, but I wanted to make sure that using a 30amp wasnt too much.

Next up, I don't understand wiring schematics at all. I know enough to not plug the ground into the live, but when it comes to switches like r-stop, run, etc. The schematic diagrams throw me. I don't know how to read the symbols, such as, when the bar is above the two dots, does this mean always an open switch, or a closed switch. When two wires run into a third and there is a dot at the junction, does this mean that the two should be wired together to the same plug. Etc etc etc. I just want a very basic setup for this system right now, so I intend to only run a run switch. Would a basic computer momentary switch be appropriate. It was doing fine before, but I would like to make sure before I burn out another drive. If anybody would like to take the time to help it would be appreciated, you can find the drive by googling fenner contrex and its the first link. Look under products and then m-drive. It has all the links for the literature. Thank you again.

Normally two dots with a bar above is a normally open push button, if the bar rests on the dots it is NC.
    Is it the hook diagram 3-5 on page 3-3? that is a concern?
    The voltages are generally very low voltage, low current so almost any switch will work.
    Here is a few symbols, unfortunately it does not cover all the types of limit switches etc.
    http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/symbol.htm
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thank you as always Al. The circuit symbols page was awesome and helped out a lot. So does a computer switch, the momentary type, function as an appropriate switch to use as a run, etc. It did seem to work fine, but I just want to be sure.

Also, the 30amp breaker. Is that ok?

For a 2hp motor on 220, 30 amp seems way over sized, I would expect a 15amp to be ample.
    The drive itself should have some current limiting I would think.
    You will notice that the RUN switch is momentary and has a bar across the top of RUN.
    This means that it is active-low, IOW by pushing the start switch, you take the input to 0v or low.
    Then the internal circuitry latches in and will run the drive until the stop is opened.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hey Al, got everything working just fine. Apparently, the little switches werent momentary switches but small on/off switches like they used on old computers. So new switches, new board, and everything works awesome. Thx again

Glad things turned out OK :cheers:

Albert E.