587,775 active members*
2,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool Grinding Literature Needs

Can anyone suggest any good grinding literature for tool grinders. I am interested in end mills, ball mills, reamers, etc.
    I am trying to determine the capabilities of machines to see if I want to buy a tool and cutter grinder. I already have a Darex grinder for end mills. The floating air bearing is the way to go. The ball mill attachment sucks to put it lightly. It will only sharpen staight flute type ball mills. Darex has even considered to stop production of it because they cannot get it right at a cheaper cost.
    I have no problems with straight end mills. I just want to learn some other processes. I will even buy specific machine manuals if they have good descriptions (and perhaps pictures).
    I have the Norton grinding books and found them informative.
    Any recommendations?

mc_n_g

Just maybe.
    The book on building the Quorn Tool and Cutter Grinder does describe how to use it quite well, and with pictures. It is some help in understanding how the different geometries are generated. But I'm sure there must be some more general info available somewhere.

The operators manual for the K.O. Lee & Cincinnati tool and cutter grinders have good descriptions for using their equipment for sharpening tools. In these days of tools with inserts few people sharpen their own cutters. For costume sizes it is usually cheaper to have someone else do the job. The end result depends on the quality of the machine and a skilled operator.

Gary

I already have the Quorn book and castings (which I am working on the spindle when I get the time). I like the Quorn book and the verstility of the machine.
    I still want to have the ability to make my own cutters if needed. My father-in-law regularly needs forms of antique car rubber bumpers and such. Rather than pay out I woul drather learn to do it myself. I figure years down the road the skill might come in handy when I really need it.
    Now a 5 axis CNC grinder would be fantastic but that is a little more than I or any other non-business could afford. I would even love to see one in action from start to finish. I want to see the gouging/gashing process for the flutes, ball mill radius etc.

Thanks for your replies so far,
    mc_n_g

Question Ways to prove inhouse toolgrinding savings.

My name is Martin, I have been a toolgrinder for 10 years. I was recently hired as Tool & Cutter grinder in an aerospace company called T.P.T. in Valencia California. When I was hired I was told that the company would soon purchase Tool grinding equipment, for inhouse grinding of their tools. This will be a year this February 2007.

Before I was hired, the company leased a small space of the company to an indipendant Tool Grinding Company which supplied the company with all toolgrinding and tool modification needs. For what ever reason, the Toolgrinding company relocated and my company ended up without inhouse grinding resourses, and have chosen to have other Tool companies services.

I agreed on doing manual machining work until the equipment was purchased, but it was not made cleare as to when the equipment would be purchased either.

Now I need to present the company owner, with facts. Showing monetary saving & the benefit of imediate modifcation of tools to prevent down time on production.

Of course giving myself a great opportunity for salary increase.

Can you refer me Advertisents or documentaries pertaining to this?

Thanks
    Martin Martinez

my e-mail is [email protected]

cincinatti monoset manuel would help you .

I work for http://www.triplersystems.com/ we rebuild Cincinati Monosets and No.2 tool cutters. I will see if we have any spare manuals around or if I can order you one cheap. I just bought one the older models that they had in the back, i haven't taken it home to really start playing with it yet, but i am excited about it. I live in rural minnesota, and the closest thing that i can buy localy to an engraving bit is a router bit, so having this thing is going to be awesome. If you haven't found anything yet, PM me and i will let you know what i came up with.

I am pretty pumped to get that thing home and get some practical knowledge on grinding tools. Since i have started working there all of the owners personal machines have been loaned out. so the only grinding i have gotten to do so far has been straight test grinds to check tolerances.

Austin

You have some great information in the books you have. In the spirit of 'paying it forward', If you have any specific questions regard T&C Grinders feel free to ask. I have been running Manual/CNC T&C grinders for 15+ years.

I see a lot of manual T&C grinders available without attachments. The attachments are where the money and flexibility are at.
    I have a Darex E90 endmill sharpener I picked up about 3 years ago for $450. It works well for what we need with straight flute or tapered endmills. Ball and radius not worth the hassle.
    I would like the option to create correct radius corners and ball mills for specific forms. I don't know if I am dreaming this is possible on a manual or not.
    I am always looking for good information to understand what I am doing or need to understand the process. Creating an endmill from scratch would be one of my goals for the future. Most cuts I perform are shallow so learninig to cut the flutes and gash the ends are the key parts for me. Resharpening something now is not that hard. Just need to perform the proper setup. I can't seem to find video or images of the process in action. The CNC machines are just too expensive right now.
    Just looking for other sources for learning.

mc_n_g

I work with a Master Tool and cutter Grinder, who always sent out ball nose regrinds when we only had cinn #2 and other manual machines. We're talking a man that has done this for a living for the last 20 years. Only when we spent 300 large on a Walter CNC has he started doing them in house. If you still want to learn more, check ebay. have about 50 different books on toolgrinding and grinding in general that were bought from there.

hope this helps,
    Greg

Books

Greg,

Do you still sell grinding books on eBay?

Ed

Coolant Tester

Norton has a reference guide that does a good job describing those concepts