587,262 active members*
3,357 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3 questions, maybe 4

Newbie x2 related questions.
    1) Has anyone put energy into removing lash in fine feed z axis knob? Brass or plastic shim washer behind knob maybe.
    2) What oil do you use on ways? What grease on leadscrews?
    3) Rather than power feed on the left side, how about interim stepper/belt driver replacement of stock right side wheel. Driven with a simple 1 axis controller. (Upgrade to CNC later) Like this Sherline kit.
    [URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220284209280"]
    Free running mode, with direction and speed control. Seems like I've seen something like this somewhere.
    okay 4) How do I NOT have my email address show in Yahoo Groups? I can't figure out how nobody but me has there entire email address showing as poster.
    Thanks
    Jim

I use 68 way oil everywhere. Through a one shot oiler.

I think only you (the poster) see your full email address.

Phil

1) Has anyone put energy into removing lash in fine feed z axis knob? Brass or plastic shim washer behind knob maybe.

When my X2 was manual, I never bothered with the backlash on the Z. I just used a dial indicator for depth and adjusted.

2) What oil do you use on ways? What grease on leadscrews?

Same as other poster

3) Rather than power feed on the left side, how about interim stepper/belt driver replacement of stock right side wheel. Driven with a simple 1 axis controller. (Upgrade to CNC later) Like this Sherline kit.
    [URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220284209280"]
    Free running mode, with direction and speed control. Seems like I've seen something like this somewhere.
    okay

That looks pretty neat. Would have saved some sore hands before I converted to CNC.

4) How do I NOT have my email address show in Yahoo Groups? I can't figure out how nobody but me has there entire email address showing as poster.
    Thanks
    Jim

No Idea

I think adding digital scales is a better way to deal with lash. Especially on Z.

I use Mobil 1 on just about everything. On the screws I use white lithium grease. The problem with the Lithium is that it attracts dirt and grit. So make sure it is well protected. I added a rubber bellows to my Z column like the X1 has.

Sorry, don't know anything about power feeds.

Adam

I tend to agree. It is indeed a little frustrating to not have exact location readily viewable. I just have to see if I can rationalize the expense of my hobby during a time of financial uncertainty. However, I guess I'm helping to feed our economy if I buy through an importer. I wish there was an inexpensive 8" dro available, there are plenty of 6 & 12" scales available. I guess I'll go for 12's.
    Have you installed dro's yet on an x2 mill.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tubeguy54 View Post
    Have you installed dro's yet on an x2 mill.
    thanks
    I have all three scales mounted and wired. I'm waiting for my DRO-350 pc board.

You really want to mount a 12" scale on Z in case you switch to an airspring. The airspring kit is a cheap X2 mod that gives you more than 9 inches of vertical travel. An 8" scale just won't cut it.

The scales are accurate to .001". I don't think you're ever going to get the lash down to that on Z. It's possible on X and Y by using ball screws. The scales are a cheap alternative.

You really don't need the head unit to use the scales. It's just a little more convenient. I think I paid less than $100 for all three scales including shipping. I bought them individually on ebay.

Good luck

Adam