587,999 active members*
1,746 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hardinge HLV Clone opinions

I am considering upgrading my vintage HLV-B lathe to either a used HLV-H or one of the HLV-H Clone lathes which seem to sell new for around $15,000. I saw a clone chucker at a dealer's place yesterday and was impressed by what I saw.

Does anyone have any experience with the Taiwanese HLV clone lathes? If they are as well-built as the "Goodman" chucker I saw, it would definitely be a possibility! Both pros and cons appreciated. Thanks.

:rainfro: Bump... Please, surely there must be someone here who has some time on one of these Taiwan-made lathes. If not, I'll let the thread die.

Hardinge HLV Clones

I'm looking to buy also. New or used. Don't see any used HLV clones on the market. I wonder if thats because people are happy with them. Used Hardinge HLV-H's are very expensive unless they are pretty beat up. Anybody out there use a clone HLV?

Don't know if this is true but I read in one of the machine forums that Hardinge uses Taiwanese HLV clones on their own production floor.

Hardinge Use of Clones

I got a tour of Hardinge a few years ago and I did see two Sharp copies of a HLV-H and the manual chucker. They were both being torn down and checked for patent infringements.

I saw No clones on the production floor and don't think they would with the ppride that the Hardinge management and staff has.