587,138 active members*
3,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hermle spindle drive

Hello, We seem have recently replaced a spindle drive in our C800 and now have just burned one up in one of our C40's.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get better life from these drives. It's hard to be competitive while replacing expensive components these days.

I am not quite what heats up a drive more, higher RPM or Higher Torque.

thanks in advance
    G,

update...

The repair guy who fixes our Makino and Hermle machines said that Siemans drives are not the same quality as Fanuc and should be expected to burn up under constant use over 5 years. I sure hope this is not correct but it does seem to be the case.

It would be a help if you mentioned the model of drive.You may want to consider retrofitting the next drive that goes with something different,although if a drive is set up correctly it should have a reasonable life.
    I have Fanuc and Siemens and would argue that some Siemens axis drives have not been up to much but have never had problems with spindle drives.
    Additionally Siemens are reasonably open and helpful with info.Fanuc are not.

hey.

thanks for the reply. I don't know the model number off hand but we are replacing it with a newer model that requires some additional changes as well.

Additionally, we have found out that the AC for the cabinet was a bit weak and definately burdened the solid state devices. I am not sure why we did not get a warning on this and will have to look into it a bit further.

thanks

cooling - correction...

The cooling works fine in our cabinet. It's just hard to get good help these days (smile).

After looking at the panel, I am guessing the operator left the door ajar slightly and since the door switch was not activated, the panel warmed up before the service guy showed up.