587,751 active members*
2,888 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool G-code output problem

Hello to everyone...new to the forum.
    I was just recently put in charge of programming after a company downsize and the shop uses Virtual Gibbs. Its an old version (4.26) from what I've been reading on these message boards. I've only been using it a couple of days, but I got it to do what I wanted with a little poking around. I just cant get it to output any G-code. Any advice would be appreciated...

To get the machine code you need to post process the toolpaths. I don't how different the interface of V4.26 is, but there should be an icon to run the post processor.

Cool Icon for post processor

Thanks Cadman for the reply. There is an icon for the post processor, but when I click on it, there are no files to load. Does that mean I cannot write out a g-code. What are my options? I cant believe they would purchase the software without even a basic post.

There has to be a post somewhere otherwise your company couldn't post any G code. When you click on the post process icon, the dialog box has an icon to locate the .PST (processor) file you want to use and an icon for the location you want to put the NCF (G code) file. You need to search for the .PST file or find out from someone who did the programming where it is.

Cool No .pst files

I ran a search of the c:/ drive for any .pst files and it came up with nothing.
    I ransacked the office and found the instruction manuals and install disks(actually floppy's which tell me how old the version is). One disk is labeled:
    Library Post
    . I didn't have the time tonight to look at the disk files. Is this disk a generic post?

Yes, your post(s) are on this disc. Copy them to a location on your computer and when you process your toolpaths, navigate here and use this post.

Cool Thanks Cadman

Thanks for the help and quick replies.

Glad to help. Another good resource for help is the message board at gibbscam.

Library Disk a No-Go

I couldn't access the disk. I don't know if its a disk problem or a floppy drive problem. I did find some .pst files in another folder(I don't know why they didn't appear during my search of the hard drive but when I found them they were labeled as "office data files"). There were 5 files, but they were All for Yasnac controls. We have 1 Yasnac control and all the other machines are Fanuc, and more able. I was able to process some code for the Yasnac, but it came out like GARBAGE on all 5 files, rapiding into the part and approaching it 3 or 4 different paths far away from the part feeding into air.What a waste! Its almost like somebody just threw them together on the fly and said "these will be good enough for your needs". Of course the salesman was probably talking to someone who had never seen code in his/her life. I'm so irritated right now! I'm gonna try the message boards at gibbs and see what I can learn there. Thanks again.