587,334 active members*
3,988 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach down!

Hi Guys,

Hope this is on the correct forum.

We have a Tormach 1100 and recently, for no apparent reason, it has been critically malfunctioning.

These are the symptoms:

- The software executes 'circular interpolations' as if in 'incremental mode' instead of 'absolute mode' resulting in wide arcs seemingly at random.

- The Machine halts and powers down erroneously after the 500th line of code of any .tap machining file. At this fatal point the spindle turns-off and the machine audibly fades, with no axial movement.

It appears the fault is in the The VFD motor driver board (30163, (with ref to drawing D40135 electrical overview), as when symptoms occur machining ends abruptly, followed by the board's red 'Fault' LED winking on and off.

If anyone has any ideas we would love to hear them. We have tried reformatting and even completely changing the computer that runs the Tormach to no avail, so this is most likely a Hardware issue with the Tormach itself.

Thanks!

Dan

check this

Dan,

without going into too much detail, I would check two things first:

1. lines of code: did you reinstall the mach3 licence when you reinstalled the controll? Without the licence the controller is limited to a certain number of lines, I think it was 500.

2. There is a setting for incremental vs. absolute dimensioning for for circular interpolation I think it is on the settings tab. Make sure you have set the right setting there. Mine was on absolute when I first started it up.

Benji

Might also check one of the limit switches and the spindle motor door switch. Both of these gave me problems in the past.

finger's crossed

Thanks guys!

We had replaced one of the limit switches, the problem started just after as far as I know. I just reinstalled the license however and it's going past 500 lines now! the incremental/absolute toggle seems to make a difference again.

Just doing a job now to acid-test the fix.

Thanks so much, its been out of action for weeks. I'm not sure what caused the original fault mind you.. but at least it works!

All the best

dan