587,737 active members*
3,161 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X2 conversion kit suggestion

Could you provide an X2 conversion kit with a larger work envelope? Something like the CNC Bridges, the Hoss2006 modified X2 or the one described in "Benchtop Monster is Born - Harbor freight 44991 / 33686 Hybrid CNC Conversion!!!".

Here is a link to the thread he is talking about;

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75921

Is Chris or anyone else at LittleMachineShop going to answer my question?

Larger X2 table

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Just getting up to speed here.

We will have a larger X2 table in a couple months. It's something like 20% larger in each direction. Not as large as you are looking for, I don't think.
    Chris Wood
    LittleMachineShop.com

Chris,

Do you have any update information on your upcoming larger X2 table or some idea of what it will cost?

Thanks

We expect the larger X2 tables in about a month. They will be about $300.
    Here are some specs:
    The table is 120 mm (4.73") by 460 mm (18.11"). It has three 12 mm T-slots.
    The X-axis travel is 300 mm (00") and the Y-axis travel is 130 mm (00").
    The dials are graduated in 0.001" and one turn of the hand wheels moves the table 0.050".
    The X-Y table is made of cast iron and steel. There are adjustable gibs on both axes.
    Chris Wood
    LittleMachineShop.com

Chris,

Does the upcoming larger X2 table connect to the Z axis in the same way as the stock X2 table?

Does your CNC X and Y-Axis Motor Mounts and Screws for Mini Mill (Part Number: 3198) use acme screws or ball screws?

Thanks again!

The larger X-Y table for the X2 connects just like the standard table. To switch you remove three bolts, move the column and replace the bolts in the new X-Y Table.

Our CNC X and Y-Axis Motor Mounts and Screws for Mini Mill have Acme screws and anti-backlash nuts. Pretty clear in the photo:
    http://www.littlemachineshop.com/3198

Regards,
    Chris Wood
    LittleMachineShop.com
    Chris Wood
    LittleMachineShop.com

Chris,

Is the upcoming larger X2 table essentially the same as the one on Warco's popular mini mill and drill?

Warco's popular mini mill and drill is described here: http://www.warco.co.uk/Mini-Mill-Drill-EBFC17B0BF.aspx .

Thanks yet again!

That Warco machine is a totally different machine from the SIEG X2.
    Chris Wood
    LittleMachineShop.com

This sounds very interesting, i have been waiting for something like that. Any updates, pictures maybe?

EK

We expect the first batch of larger X-Y tables for the mini mill in the next two weeks. They will cost $299.95.

We will get a photo and more information on our Web site as soon as we can after they arrive.
    Chris Wood
    LittleMachineShop.com

Chris.

I just noticed you have the new larger table assembly for the X2 at LittleMachineShop.com. Since I have converted my X2 to a CNC it would be very interesting to get some more details of the internals so I can determine how I can utilize the larger base for my mill. How different is it from the original assembly? Is there more room for mounting ball screws etc or is it more or less the same, except for the extended travel of course?

Thanks
    EK

There is some more room under the table, but not a lot. The saddle is now 2" tall, maybe 3/16" taller than the regular X2 table.
    Chris Wood
    LittleMachineShop.com

Quote Originally Posted by kanton View Post
    Could you provide an X2 conversion kit with a larger work envelope? Something like the CNC Bridges, the Hoss2006 modified X2 or the one described in "Benchtop Monster is Born - Harbor freight 44991 / 33686 Hybrid CNC Conversion!!!".
    The new table would be an easy bolt-on upgrade, but does not significantly boost table size or travel. Also, If you intend to CNC your X2, you really don't need all of the cranks etc. All you really need is the base/saddle/table plus gibs.

If you are competent, a far more practical CNC upgrade would be to purchase just those X3 parts from Grizzly

$141,25 X3 Base
    $048,75 X3 Saddle
    $005.25 X3 Y gib
    $058.25 X3 Table
    $004.00 X3 Table gib.
    $016.00 X3 Gib adjusting screws/nuts
    --------
    273.50 plus shipping.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0463/parts

You will have to fabricate ball screws, end plates/motor mounts/bearings and adapt X2 column to X3 Base, ala asammons, but that shouldn't be very difficult and will result in a large table size/travel increase.

CR.