588,407 active members*
5,916 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > using Lazycam to create TAP files for WinCNC

Hybrid View

using Lazycam to create TAP files for WinCNC

I just bought a new router that has WinCNC on the computer. My old router runs Mach3 and thats what I know how to run and have been using Lazycam to produce the .TAP files.

I've got the new router up and runnning and have read the WinCNC manual. I have setup everything to my satisfaction and am ready to run a file but all my .TAP files that I created previously are not working in WinCNC. It keeps giving me the following message: Error - Syntax - Command or File Not Found.

As far as I've been able to find, WinCNC states that just about any CAM program can work with WinCNC. I know that Lazycam is a part of Mach3 and that the two work together great so I am wondering if I need to get a different CAM program. Even thought that means reworking all of my files that I have created.

All thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I am not familiar with WinCNC, but by default, it may be looking for a different file extension than .tap. You should be able to change that in your "options" someplace.

Also, are the g-codes and their syntax the same for WinCNC and Mach? I don't know the answer to that one either but this is the exact reason it is difficult to share code files on different machines.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

The gcode files are simply Text files. You might try simply renaming the desired file. If WinCNC is looking for an NC file for example, then rename the file "Test.TAP" as "Test.NC" and see if WinCNC will open it. I am not at all familiar with WinCNC, but am familiar with computers. And the message you are getting, is related to a particular file naming convention used by the software. In other words, the file may actually be exactly the type of file the software needs in terms of what the file actually contains, but the software just doesn't recognize the name. (*.TAP vs *.NC as in the above example).

wincnc

Hi,

Have you tried using one g-code per line?, that' a Win requirment it does not like multi g-code instating to start a file. also it may not be capable of using some of the commands that Mach uses.

I have a Shop Sabre with a Win controller, they are kind of quirky and if I were you I would try to use Mach with the new machine. I know the Win is an expensive controller but from what I have read and experienced it is not as capable or any more dependable than Mach, it is also not as user friendly.

I have recently bought a used Multicam and replaced the controller with Mach and prefer by far over the WinCnc. When making adjustments to the control program in Mach I go to the proper screen and using plain English make the adjustments and Mach takes care of the rest. In Win you have to go to a file (one of many) and hope that its the right one, than make the adjustments you would like using a computer language of symbols letters and numbers.

That being said the Win is very capable if somewhat overrated.

Good Luck,

If you paste a sample of a file that won't work here, I will try to tell you why it won't work.

Syntax errors means that the file has something in it that the controller does not understand. Could be a tool change command, could be a G Code that is not defined, could be something else. It will not likely be multiple commands on the same line. You usually get an error message to that effect for that.

WinCNC has one screen, not multiple. WinCNC has a couple of files that do the setup. The wincnc.ini file is the main one. Don't change this unless you are very experienced or someone who knows WinCNC instructs you to. The cncscrn.ini file is for setting up the control screen.

Instructions for setting up this screen are in the WinCNC manual available on our website, wincnc. The manual also explains many of the settings in the wincnc.ini file.

Daisydog, this is not the place for discussing your complaints about WinCNC, but if you'll message me I will try to help you. We think WinCNC is very user friendly. It has one user screen and if it is set up correctly it is extremely easy to use.

Mike from WinCNC

By the way, WinCNC uses text files. The default is usually ".tap", but it all depends on what it is set up for.

In fact, the controller does not care what the extension is. If you can get it to see the file (click the arrow and select all files), and it's a text file that can be read in Notepad, WinCNC will try to run it.

If it is not in the correct G-Code format, you might get errors, but the controller will try to run it.

Oh, by the way, you can click the Simulate button and it will tell you what line the error is on.

Mike

Be Friendly WinCnc

Hello All,

Mike criticism is not complaining. Pointing out a products strong points and weak ones is o.k. as long as they are given honestly with no malice . You may not agree with my opinions and you may want to debate my facts, that's o.k. , that's what forums are for. If you would like to censure or filter contrary thoughts you should ask WinCnc to re-open the forum on it's web page.

You cannot honestly be suggesting WinCnc is as user friendly as Mach or anymore capable for that matter.

In WinCnc's favor they do supply top notch support and have a friendly knowledgeable staff. WinCnc is easy to use after it is setup, however setting it up or making changes without the staff helping you is not easy and can lead to serious mistakes, it says so in their manual.

Mike thanks for your offer . I am comfortable making adjustments in the wincnc.ini. file. When I need support the staff at ShopSabre are very helpful and they have been using WinCnc for years. When they can't figure it out they call you guys at WinCnc and get back to me. The support chain works well and they give free support for life.

The cncscrn.ini. file is the real bugger. What I would like to see is a detailed section in the manual on how to build a screen. The instructions in the manual assume that you already know the meaning of the colors, symbols, numbers and abbreviations that are used. The manual does touch on this but not enough. Now this maybe an easy file to adjust and the instructions easy to understand but not if the meaning of the symbols used to make adjustments is not understood.

If the WinCnc manual would use a detailed example or two using illustrations of a screen being built screen building would probably be doable by the average WinCnc user. The screen I use is good but other than being able to adjust four of the buttons I have to use it the way it is. I would like to make some other changes but have not been able to because I cannot figure out the manuals instructions.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Sincerely,

Daisydog