587,655 active members*
3,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Post pictures of your engines!
Page 1 of 3 123

Hybrid View

Post pictures of your engines!

This is mostly so Fixittt can see my wobbler but i would like to see photos of your COMPLETED engines.

OK Fixittt, this is the wobbler. Easy to build and very few parts. Free plans are all over the net. This one is made of solid brass but aluminum can be used. The steam tubes are stainless but copper can be used. I run it on compressed air for the kids once in a while. There is 3 or 4 thousand things i would change but that is part of the learning process. You will never get good at making parts if you dont make parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0651.JPG   DSCN0653.JPG  

Here's a couple that I made several years ago and I am in the process of building the Edwards 5 Radial.

Ivy McNeil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Twin-1.jpg   1398-2.jpg   im001464.jpg  
    I did not fail,I found 10,000 ways that dont work

One person that builds engines?

http://forum.bugattibuilder.com/phot...s.php?album=27
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0645.JPG  

Nice inline 8! The slide show was great! Something everyone can appreciate!:banana:

Just like a nice miniature engine......poetry to hear and a work of art to gaze upon!

I have a Morton M5 Radial I have been building on, just no pics and my camera just died.

Other than that I have done some rebuilds on model airplane engines, like con-rods, carbs and prop nuts. Modified a couple weed wacker engines for R\C to glow, including mounts and prop adapters.

I also have the Mizer Sterling low temp engine in the works.

Just so little time to get back to them after moving to a new home. The shop is at least 90 percent functional, so hopefully in a few months I'll be back into them. It'll be nice to get the rest of the equipment out of the Garage.

DC

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many View Post
    I have a Morton M5 Radial I have been building on, just no pics and my camera just died.

Other than that I have done some rebuilds on model airplane engines, like con-rods, carbs and prop nuts. Modified a couple weed wacker engines for R\C to glow, including mounts and prop adapters.

I also have the Mizer Sterling low temp engine in the works.

DC

Sorry about the camera. I would love to see your work. The morton is a nice looking engine. Castings are a little pricy but worth the extra coin.

Not as complex, but i have plans for the 370 pip, 3 cylinder. Looking forward to that. I am thinking of springing for ageless engines 9 cylinder plans. If the pip goes well, i'll try the 9. Would like to also take a crack at the ken hurst V8. Again the castings are alot of money, but worth it when finished.

http://www.littlelocos.com/pip/ 370 pip

http://www.agelessengines.com/9cyppic.htm 9 cylinder

http://www.nvbackflow.com/engines/ V8

Here are pieces of the one I'm building

Here are some of the pictures.

Jeff

Crankcase

Tailshaft Housing

Assembly with oil drain plug

A close up of the rocker assembly

sub-assembly just to check fit. The green things are old ear plugs – needed something to keep tension on the push rods.

Gearcase

Looks great!! Do you cut your own gears?

Quote Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post
    Sorry about the camera. I would love to see your work. The morton is a nice looking engine. Castings are a little pricy but worth the extra coin.

Not as complex, but i have plans for the 370 pip, 3 cylinder. Looking forward to that. I am thinking of springing for ageless engines 9 cylinder plans. If the pip goes well, i'll try the 9. Would like to also take a crack at the ken hurst V8. Again the castings are alot of money, but worth it when finished.

http://www.littlelocos.com/pip/ 370 pip

http://www.agelessengines.com/9cyppic.htm 9 cylinder

http://www.nvbackflow.com/engines/ V8
    I've got the 9cyl plans and castings.. its nice work. I stopped by his house and checked out his engines too. There's always room for improvement, but its well worth the money. I have the plans and raw materials, but just trying to get up the gumption to start (too many projects!). I'll probably rebuild it all in Solidworks, and then modify it to make it my own. There's a real engine scaled up from it too amazingly - the Rotec.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    I have the plans and raw materials, but just trying to get up the gumption to start (too many projects!).

I here you. I cought the CNC bug about a month ago and started to build a small 3 axis mill. My friend came up with a product that i made the first prototype yesterday. so no time for cool stuff. I did get board waiting for ballscrews to come so i made a 1/4 scale model of the wobbler engine.

Here is a video of the first run. Try not to laugh to hard when the inlet tube pops off. Going to try to solder it back on today. I guess press fitting it .045 deep was a real bad idea.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TpBlHHiGWY[/ame]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1131.JPG   DSCN1133.JPG   DSCN1135.JPG  

18 cylinder

I've got the 9cyl plans and castings.. its nice work. I stopped by his house and checked out his engines too. There's always room for improvement, but its well worth the money. I have the plans and raw materials, but just trying to get up the gumption to start (too many projects!). I'll probably rebuild it all in Solidworks, and then modify it to make it my own. There's a real engine scaled up from it too amazingly - the Rotec.
    Here is a project I started long time ago. I started drawing this engine in Solidworks. If anybody can help me with a few questions about Solidworks, I would be thankful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18 assemble.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	74637

another on

I couldn't put more than one picture on the last post. I wanted to post more pictures but I can't get more than one in a post. How do I post it with the picture in the post and not a link to click on??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 18 assemble2.jpg  

Thats just slick.

Winter is just around the corner in Minnesota so I am starting to make plans to build a couple new engines. I would like to build the Webster Engine & then the Edwards Radial 5. I have downloaded the plans and they look very complete on both of them. I have received a couple of good shortcuts from Ivy as far as the Radial 5 heads go. Up until then I was a little afraid of that engine.

I have videos of some of the engines that I have built on Photobucket. I would put them on this forum but I don't know how to go about it. If someone could give me a step by step instruction, maybe I could get them on. I am more comfortable with an old Bridgeport then I am with this computer.

This is my finished 1/6 scale glow Kinner K-5. The first run was on Oct 10/07.
    This was from the Strictly I.C. magazine plans with a few minor modifications.
    I used an updraft carb from an O.S.fs .40 4-cycle.
    I modified the camshaft profile to a 105 degree centerline and increased the overall lift to .060 at the cam.
    The compression ratio was increased to 9.6 to 1
    Some cosmetic liberties were taken with the cylinder head looks.
    This was a good challenge and runs well. This was built using a Taig lathe and hand tools.

Name:	HPIM1651.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	47984

Name:	HPIM1654.JPG 
Views:	338 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	47985

The Kinner looks great.

How do you get the fins on the jugs and heads so nice. Do you have a DRO on your lathe?

Any who. Very nice!!!!

Thanks for the kind words.

I am using a basically stock Taig lathe with the exception of a home made power drive for the carriage.

The fins were made by setting the carriage stop for the edge of the first fin, then moving the stop over the correct amount with a plug guage, then cutting the next fin. Then repeat.

I allso have a different drive system to slow down the spindle speed to get chatter free cutting.

Did I mention it takes a while with a small lathe? LOL!

This one was fun.

Runs on compressed air or Co2. 1/4 X 1/4

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2cCYrqq6fU[/ame]

Future plans include a camshaft with lifters and pushrods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0967.JPG   DSCN1022.JPG   DSCN1042.JPG   DSCN1082.JPG  

Interesting sounding little engine. Neat design from what I've seen of the photo's. How do you lubricate it?

How are you going to use the cam and lifters to time the air movement? Looks a lot like the old 327 sbc with two-four setup from around 1965-67

Agreed, that is one interesting sounding little motor.

Very nice work Steve.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by T.L.A.R. eng View Post
    Interesting sounding little engine. Neat design from what I've seen of the photo's. How do you lubricate it?

How are you going to use the cam and lifters to time the air movement? Looks a lot like the old 327 sbc with two-four setup from around 1965-67

I lube it like an air tool. Drop or two down the tubes before use.

Right now there is a pin in the center of the piston that lifts the ball out of the seat in the center of the cylinder. The ball is lifted .010 - .015 off the seat. I have'nt checked the actual numbers but i assume the ball is lifted 25 degrees before TDC and held open 25 degrees after TDC. I want to see what would happen if i use a camshaft to lift the balls. I could start lifting at TDC or a hair before, stay open for 120 degrees or more, and lift .025 or more. Better timing, 3 times the duration and double the lift. The air will still exhaust out the holes in the block. I also have plans for a steel crankshaft instead of bronze.

Actually i was thinking 283 power pack like in the Tri-five chevys.

I'm going to spend some time tommorrow and make some headers for it and some kind of stand and call it done. Maybe paint. Chevy orange. Maybe some plug wires. . .. .. maybe some . .. . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1085.JPG  

Page 1 of 3 123