587,218 active members*
2,666 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Hybrid View

PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator

Has anyone heard news on the release dates for PathPilot 2.x or PathPilot Simulator?

Re: PathPilot 2.x and PathPilot Simulator

What's PathPilot Simulator?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    What's PathPilot Simulator?
    It’s not documented by Tormach that I know about but PathPilot can run under Oracle’s VirtualBox. PP knows when this is happening & as such does not require the MESA hardware. In VirtualBox you setup a Linux machine to install PP into. After installation you can run PP and select the machine (one of the mill models or the lathe) you want to simulate & PP works just as if the machine were really attached.

I do this all the time and it’s very handy to test out code or write conversational routines right on my desktop where I do all my CAD/CAM.

It’s also handy to test out new versions of PP before I put it onto my machines!

It's only necessary to create one VirtualBox instance to run/simulate any of the Tormach machines because each time you run PP it ask you what machine to use.

So below is PP V1.9.13 running on my Windows 7 desktop simulating the Slant-Pro. I'm checking out the latest PP version before I update my machine.

I just tried running PathPilot (1.92) in Virtualbox it would not boot. It fails with the message "Mesa interface card not detected in controller."

Any tips on how to get run PP in VirtualBox?
    Steve

There are a few things to be aware of:

1) Create a Linux, Ubuntu (32-bit) virtual machine with 2048 MB of memory.

2) You must create a “Fixed size” VDI disk image of 32GB.

You can install from the CD or an ISO image of it. Earlier releases of the PP CD were not VB aware. The installation will look for the MESA hardware & bomb out if not found. You can get around this by booting into the Ubuntu desktop – hold down the left shift-alt keys. Then edit the file:

“/home/operator/config_file.txt”
    so that it contains 1 line of either:

~/tmc/configs/tormach_lathe/tormach_lathe_sim.ini
    or

~/tmc/configs/tormach_mill/tormach_mill_sim.ini
    and save it.

Reboot and thing should work right. Now update to one of the later versions of PP so you don’t have to mess with this anymore.

Also, you need to install the VB Guest Additions to get the screen size right and other features to work.

I also fixed it so that I always boot into the desktop rather directly into PP. Then I have a desktop launcher for PP. This launcher runs PP in a fixed size window on my VB desktop so that's why my screen shot looks the way it does.

Hope this helps ...

Following your instructions, I have PP running in the VirtualBox Ubuntu, but it can't see any USB drives or, indeed, anything outside the virtual box. How can I get it to be able to see a USB drive?

Thanks for this info. I was able to install PP on my MacBook under Parallels, directly from the PP CD.

1. Created ISO file from PP CD using Disk Utility.
    2. Added VM in Parallels, selecting the ISO file as media.
    3. Set memory to 2GB and HDD to 32GB.
    4. Install ran from start to finish.
    5. Selected Mill, MESA error, hit ok.
    6. Restarted VM and held down Fn-LSHIFT-Alt at Tormach Splash Screen
    7. Changed config as noted and restarted VM.
    8. Everything is functional.

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    There are a few things to be aware of:

1) Create a Linux, Ubuntu (32-bit) virtual machine with 2048 MB of memory.

2) You must create a “Fixed size” VDI disk image of 32GB.

You can install from the CD or an ISO image of it. Earlier releases of the PP CD were not VB aware. The installation will look for the MESA hardware & bomb out if not found. You can get around this by booting into the Ubuntu desktop – hold down the left shift-alt keys. Then edit the file:

“/home/operator/config_file.txt

so that it contains 1 line of either:

~/tmc/configs/tormach_lathe/tormach_lathe_sim.ini

or

~/tmc/configs/tormach_mill/tormach_mill_sim.ini

and save it.

Reboot and thing should work right. Now update to one of the later versions of PP so you don’t have to mess with this anymore.

Also, you need to install the VB Guest Additions to get the screen size right and other features to work.

I also fixed it so that I always boot into the desktop rather directly into PP. Then I have a desktop launcher for PP. This launcher runs PP in a fixed size window on my VB desktop so that's why my screen shot looks the way it does.

Hope this helps ...

Has anyone tried to run PathPilot under Microsoft Hyper-V?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    It might work but according to Microsoft documentation at this link: Supported Ubuntu virtual machines on Hyper-V
    Ubuntu is only supported from 12.04 LTS upwards. Since PP is based on 10.04.4 LTS there will probably be issues.

Also, I believe Hyper-V requires Microsoft Server $$$ and lots of knowledge to setup.

VirtualBox is absolutely FREE & easily runs on any standalone host - Windows, MAC and Linux ...

I am considering creating a virtual machine for PP on my FreeNAS box. Then I could access it from any computer on my network or even from the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    How about running PP 2.0 natively on a PC in simulation mode? (no hardware connection). I got PP-1.9.13 working in simulation mode on a stand-alone laptop by making the file modifications mentioned elsewhere on this site but haven't been so lucky with PP-2.0. Looks like it has to do with convincing PP that the laptop is running Virtual Box. I looked at the operator_login script but wasn't able to convince the program to run in simulation mode for the mill. Any help would be appreciated. It's really nice to be able to try my home-brew g-code programs at home before crashing the real mill at work.

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    It’s not documented by Tormach that I know about but PathPilot can run under Oracle’s VirtualBox. PP knows when this is happening & as such does not require the MESA hardware. In VirtualBox you setup a Linux machine to install PP into. After installation you can run PP and select the machine (one of the mill models or the lathe) you want to simulate & PP works just as if the machine were really attached.

I do this all the time and it’s very handy to test out code or write conversational routines right on my desktop where I do all my CAD/CAM.
    Thanks - it would be handy to code conversational ops on my desktop, but that's a Windows machine.

Thanks - it would be handy to code conversational ops on my desktop, but that's a Windows machine.
    Conversational is the main reason I want to run PathPilot right on my desktop computer. Sure beats standing at the mill in January when my shop is pretty cold.

The virtual machine can be cloned, copied and moved to another computer if needed.

Steve

Yeah, that's the whole point of this exercise

Oracle VM VirtualBox allows you to run PathPilot in simulation mode on your Windows, MAC, or Linux desktop and it's absolutely free software.

In my use, so far, I have found that PathPilot running in simulation mode behaves exactly as the real thing - Very Cool ...

Some terms to help you understand this process are VirtualBox (VB) is a virtualization process - it allows you to simulated other operating systems (OS's) on your computer. The computer running VB is called the host and the OS being simulated is called the client. So VB is available for many different host desktops including Windows. You simply download VB for your host (make sure you also download the VirtualBox Extension Pack) and install it on your host (our Windows desktop). Once installed you run it using the "Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager" (the program) to create your client. VB refers to the client as a "machine". VB can create more than one machine but were only interested in ONE for PP.

So when you create this machine you actually install PP from the CD into it. When PP runs it checks to see if it's running in VB and then proceeds to ask what machine you would like to simulate. Tormach for whatever reasons has not documented this.

Yeah, there is a little bit of a learning curve with VB and Ubuntu (PP runs on Ubuntu) but I'm happy to see Steve303 got through it. I think it's well worth it.

As more people learn how to do this the more information we'll have to share about it.

Wow! RDSI, many thanks for the pointer to Virtual Box.

I know I'll be the weird one here...but has anyone tried this with the Mac OS (VB says it runs there) and PP? Sounds as if it should work, just set up the virtual Linux machine and off you go.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Wow! RDSI, many thanks for the pointer to Virtual Box.

I know I'll be the weird one here...but has anyone tried this with the Mac OS (VB says it runs there) and PP? Sounds as if it should work, just set up the virtual Linux machine and off you go.
    Yes, PP on VB works on OSX.
    Step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, thanks RDSI!!!

I do have this up and running on MAC OSX, but am using Parallels instead of Virtual Box. I had to create a "keyboard shortcut" in order to send Alt+LeftShift during the boot sequence. Works great, I was able to test out my subroutines / subprograms without spending a bunch of time standing in front of the machine.

THIS IS AWESOME. Its exactly 95 steps from my desk to my machine. Sometimes its too loud in the factory for me to think. I've been hacking PP so this will definitely save me some time. Thank you!
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Thanks for the help rdsi. I now have PP updated to V1.9.13 and working. Can't figure out how to install guest additions so I am moving the screen using the ATL F7 keys.

Steve

Yeah, this can vary a bit. In general when you download & install VB make sure you get the Guest Additions also. The versions must match between them.

Then, once again, boot into the PP Ubuntu desktop. You should see a windows menu bar (File, Machine, View, Devices, Help). Select:

“Devices→Insert Guest Additions CD Image …”
    then OK.

This should install them. Then you can use the bottom right menu bar to adjust various settings including the display to get the effect you want.

I now have the guest additions installed and working. Screen size will auto adjust fine. I can not seem to figure out how to keep the menu across the top of the Ubuntu desktop.

Page 1 of 4 123