588,525 active members*
7,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Axima Classic Controller compatible with Fanuc Velocity Control Unit?

Hybrid View

Axima Classic Controller compatible with Fanuc Velocity Control Unit?

Hello Everyone,

My CNC Mill currently has a Fanuc 3M Model A controller and my xyz axis use DC Fanuc Model 0 motors that are driven by Fanuc velocity control units model A06B-6045-H001/H002. Everything works fine but my controller only allows 2 axis to feed simultaneously.

I would like my machine to allow all three axis to feed simultaneously so I am thinking of replacing the controller. I do not want to spend a lot of money so I am looking for older generation controllers.

I am currently interested in the Emerson Axima Classic Control Unit model AXIMA-04-00. However, I am unclear if it is compatible with my velocity control units since they require a tach signal.

The Axima manual says this control can generate a torque or current command rather than a speed command. Is this the same as a tach signal?

I have attached a picture of one of my velocity control units and the installation manual can be found at: http://www.transbearco.com/Tech_Supp...ion_Manual.pdf

This manual shows examples of how the controller can be connected to drives depending on the mode you are going to use.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. In particular, I would like to know if this controller will work with my drives and, if so, guidance on the correct way to connect them would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Velocity Control Unti.jpg   Velocity Wire Connections.jpg  

The torque mode method of command does not require or use a tach signal, the loop is closed only through the encoder back to the cnc controller.
    Your drives use SCR control and while being very rugged and not requiring a DC power supply, have been replaced by modern PWM methods.
    You could look at A-M-C drives for replacements if you want to go the Torque mode route, you may get enough back on selling the old drives to almost re-coupe the cost of new, as there are still alot of Fanuc 3 out there.
    You can keep the motors, just do not connect the tach.
    Also confirm you have encoders and not resolvers, as these are probabally incompatable and would have to be replaced.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi Al,

Thank you for your reply. So is it safe to assume that I will not find any current or slightly outdated controller that will be compatible with my drivers?

Suppose I want to replace the controller and the drives. What setup would you recommend if on a tight budget (i.e. approximately $1,000 or less)?

I was thinking possibly of the GREX, Gecko Servo Drive G340 (or Rutex?) and mach 3 software. Then I would use all my existing relays and power sources that are already in use with the 3m controller. What do you think?

Thanks,

David